1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason baseball can take its "Unwritten Code" and shove it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with that and I think most would.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In Gibson's day, massive retaliation by a batter involved dragging or pushing a bunt down the first base line then spiking the pitcher in the foot/ankle.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Further evidence that spring training is too long.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

an unfortunate part of the game

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't believe I used to be such a huge baseball fan. The whole sport is just ridiculous.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Name me a sport that does not have some sort of unwritten code

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's funny. Crap like this always seems to go down at the end of spring training or the first week after the All-Star break. Those would appear to be the boredom solstices of baseball.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Also no surprise that the crusty crafty Jim Leyland was as usual whining like a baby.

Quit worrying about that shit and play better. Don't get behind by 10 runs and you don't have to worry about it.

How's that for crusty?

Also notice, ALMOST ALL of the "code violations" in every sport involves LOSERS (i.e. pitchers giving up home runs, teams behind by 10 runs, teams giving up stolen bases when they're down nine runs, football and basketball coaches whining about opponents running up the score, etc etc etc etc yadda yadda) pissing and moaning because the winners are acting mean to them.

Solution:

WINNING ... DUH

PLAY BETTER OR SHUT THE FUCK UP

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When was the last time you saw a PGA player get in a fist fight or attack another player with a club because of a breach in etiquette?

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When was the last time you saw a baseball call overturned because some dweeb saw something on TV?

Heck, when was the last time fists actually flew in a baseball brawl?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Most ridiculous one I heard was last year, I think the reds had gone back-to-back -- apparently some old-school types believe a pitcher is owed a pitch to gather himself and get it over for a called strike after two HRs. Some young player swung away and went yard in the middle of a game that was still close. He took heat for that.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Funny part about the dweebs calling in golf violations: they're always right. The Tour sees it as another safeguard of the rules. When Harrington and Villegas got nailed earlier this year, they didn't bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted