1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one more psu thread: THE TRANSFERRING ISSUE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think you are unsympathetic to the victims.

And, I don't mean to criticize you or make it personal.

But, your answers tell me that you don't get it. Sorry.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And you would be very, very wrong in making such an assumption. Very wrong.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Frankly, whether Penn State goes to a bowl game or not probably doesn't matter too much to the victims. It won't change or undo or fix what was done to them.

But if PSU goes to a high-profile bowl game the whole thing will be just continually dragged across the airwaves every day for three or four weeks (most likely revealing no information which will be helpful in the case). Plus a boatload of the sanctimonious "healing-through-football" crappola we saw last Saturday.

There will be a steady stream of stuff about the case coming out -- that won't change regardless of whether PSU goes to a bowl game or not.

Better for them to finish the regular season, decline the bowl invite, nuke the whole staff, then try to start over.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Teams can turn down bowl bids. Clemson and South Carolina both did so after their brawl in Granny Holtz's last game.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is an unjoined debate. YF argues that if cancelling the remaining games isn't necessary to change the culture, then those games shouldn't be cancelled. LIT believes that cancellation isn't necessary (or won't be effective). So they are in agreement, to a degree. Left undetermined is whether YF thinks cancellation is necessary (or will be effective).

My bill for mediation services is in the mail ... :D

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why would you assume that? My parents didn't pay a red cent for my college education. I assume this decision would and should be made by the student, who is indeed a legal adult and who has to actually live with the decision being made.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I paid for 100 percent of my education, including my masters. A parent has no obligation to pay for his or her kids' education, so I wouldn't make any assumptions.

But if a parent did have the funds and was willing to help fund his or her kids' education, I'd sure hope that the parent would understand it's the kid's/legal adult's future, not the parent's outrage, that was more important in the situation.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is so amusing. Do any of you guys have kids? Are any of them in college? Obviously not judging from the posts. The stuff that comes through keyboards....

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am not attempting to condescend in anyway. Sorry you took it that way.

I maintain, though, that a college student is an adult and is therefore responsible for his or her own future.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, while I respect your right to have an opinion, it's quite obvious you haven't a clue about where I'm coming from. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you. No one wins and I don't have the time.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

In this job market? Do I want B.S., Penn State on my resume right now? Hells no.

The problem is, this incident has made the student body look like a buncha idiot-yahoos.

Any current Penn State student, athlete or not, shouid explore all options for earning a degree elsewhere.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Drip: "I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you."

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted