1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One More Duggar!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 17, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And, of course, you cannot resist the hondo false equivalence gambit.

No, they are not the same thing. But aberrant behavior is, by definition, news, and it, in turn, sparks news stories, which, through the benevolence of Al Gore, spawn links to news stories which get bandied about at message boards. Having 17 kids is news -- even more so when you're promoting a television program about your brood. Naming your kids after Nazis is news. The fact that both things are news does not make them the same.

You know all this. You just LURRRRRV to play the martyr.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't know what made me laugh more: The poster or Jesus H. Crankemout

3. pallister

pallister Guest

When did having children, albeit a lot of them, become aberrant behavior?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

About No. 8

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

ab⋅er⋅rant   /əˈbɛrənt, ˈæbər-/ [uh-ber-uhnt, ab-er-]
    –adjective
    1. departing from the right, normal, or usual course.
    2. deviating from the ordinary, usual, or normal type; exceptional; abnormal.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

To me, making the woman go through that many pregnancies is abusive, and that's why it should be news.

Obviously, she's done it out of her own volition and she can do whatever the heck she wants, but it's still bothersome to me.

And Cripes, pallister, stop taking yourself so seriously all the time. Make a joke once in a while, no matter how lame (lord knows I'm good at making lame jokes). Jeepers.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

You know what I mean, Zeke. And I'm not sure how to say this in condescending academic liberal speak, but you, sir, are full of shit.

Aren't you supposed to believe in staying out of people's bedrooms?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What do you mean, I know what you mean?

That's the definition of the fucking word. Having 17 kids differs from the norm. So much so that they're doing a reality TV show about the family.

What, exactly, are you missing?

9. He is.
    We're just making fun of these people.
    They can have 200 kids. They have, you know, a choice.
    But it's going to make me giggle while they try.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

If you knew me at all, you'd realize that's probably the dumbest thing you've ever typed on here -- and that's saying something.

Zeke, you seem upset. That's all I was going for. Seriously, if I were to use the term aberrant in describing, say, homosexuals, by the literal definition of the word, there's nothing wrong with that. It would be a true description. But I think if I did, I'm guessing you wouldn't be so quick to defend me with the "it's what the word means" defense. Hey, if you want to do condescending, more power to ya. I'm mostly a fan. But stop acting like your teaching anybody anything. You're just another insignificant poster arguing a point.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks Fenian. Apparently some people can't take a joke.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

But some people do know when a poster types something, realizes it's stupid, then tries to pass it off as a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted