1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One More Damn Thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 12, 2006.

1. I don't think I like the idea of anything being made into bacon except, you know, bacon.

2. Thank you for sharing that. It was an education. I will have to look more carefully at the labels of the food my family eats. Will soy appear under another name in the labels or will it always be soy?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Except for the weekly Chuck Norris column. I'm sure you just overlooked that.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I knew there was a reason I didn't like tofu.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Good post, Ragu. I had been someone who always put "Bacos" on my salad up until recently, and when I was recently visiting my parents I told them "no thanks" when they offered. My mother, knowing I've been eating healthier, said something to the effect of "don't worry, it's not real bacon, it's soy." I said, yeah, I know, even worse.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Soy derivatives are always labeled well. Soybean oil, in particular, shows up in a surprising number of packaged foods. If you are eating a lot of those fake, processed soy substitute foods, the soy you don't realize you are eating just piles on.

I may be being alarmist about it, but it scares me enough that I avoid soy for the most part--even though I eat far fewer things (rice, beans, veggies) than I won't eat (meat, dairy, etc.) and don't like eliminating foods from my diet without good reason.

The other thing to look out for... Those fake soy foods sell themselves as healthy, but sometimes they are relatively high in fat (making them taste better), which is bad for you. So yeah, because it's made out of soy, it is cholesterol free, unlike meat, if it is loaded with saturated fats, it isn't that good for you. You should definitely read labels.

7. I just had a good laugh.

I love Soy sauce and for the heck of it - I just went and read the label. There was a big waring label on the bottle that said: WARNING - CONTAINS SOY. I just found that funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted