1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-hit wonders: Movie edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Mar 20, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's been solid of late. Horrible Bosses, Fright Night and the upcoming Total Recall remake. He didn't do much for the last two or three years, but he's not a straight-to-DVD guy yet.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Justin 'sofa city sweetheart' Henry in Sixteen Candles. He was great as Sam's shithead little brother. Also as the little kid in Kramer vs. Kramer. So ... two-hit wonder then.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't remember the guy who played Jake Ryan being in much of anything else.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Two birds with one photo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since a lot of actors generate good word of mouth in a performance before a film gets wide release you see some come out of the gates with five or six big films (like Colin Farrell coming off of Tigerland).
    I'm hoping Riggins can survive John Carter and Battleship. He could be a no-hit wonder.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I thought Clive Owen would have a more prominent career. Forest Whitaker has an Oscar and hasn't been in too much of note since then. Don Cheadle's performance as Paul Rusesabagina was certainly Oscar-worthy, but he's not that high-profile at this point.

7. DanOregon

Cheadle is fantastic, one of those guys I'm convinced will end up with an Oscar at some point. But I'm convinced that the Oscar is more about the role than the actor at this point when you look at the characters who have been awarded Oscars.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Cheadle's a damn fine actor, but I don't think he can open a movie. He's perfect in a lead role for a movie that doesn't need to make a shit-ton of money, such as Hotel Rwanda (which was amazing), but he's never going to lead a movie that makes $300 million worldwide. He's like Ed Harris in that respect (The Abyss, notwithstanding).

9. Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda and Talk to Me was as good as it gets. I know those aren't "hit" movies per se but he certainly was a hit in them.

10. DanOregon

First noticed him in Devil in a Blue Dress. Pretty amazing when you upstage Denzel Washington. Then realized he was the main bad dude in Colors.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also great in "Boogie Nights" and in a very against-type role as stone killer Rocket in "Colors."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same with Jocelyne LaGarde, who played the queen in George Roy Hill's 1966 film "Hawaii."

She was a Tahitian native who didn't speak English or Hawaiian, learned most of her lines phonetically, and ended up with a Golden Globe as well as an Oscar nomination. She remains the only person ever nominated for an Oscar for her one and only appearance in front of the cameras.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted