1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-Hit Wonders and songs they made that didn't suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A lot of these artists mentioned can be more accurately described as "one mega-hit wonders," at least on these shores. That would certainly describe the Knack.

Technically, one could also describe Pink Floyd as a "one mega-hit wonder" because of "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2," which was No. 1 for 5 weeks as a single. But that would be ridiculous.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

TTT were damn good. They were part of the New Jack Swing era. Still dig Saadiq.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Saadiq has put out some amazing stuff in recent years.

I have their greatest hits album and beginning to end it's amazing. The singer, D'Wayne Wiggins (who I never knew was Saadiq's brother) still tours with a new lineup.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds/Rockpile put out addictive power pop in virtually every song they did, and I know most of them. "Teacher, Teacher" has long been my favorite. It was a minor hit in America in 1980, with steady radio play for a while.

I went 20 years in which I heard it only twice, and God Bless YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OKtuaWkmA0

Nick Lowe also wrote "Peace, Love and Understanding" and recorded the first version of it.

5. Riptide

Nick Lowe also put out a terrific video for
    "I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1CXbf2xF8

And I like Dave Edmunds' faster pace for the song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Xuso2WSPE

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nick Lowe's "All Men Are Liars" is a neat little song. He pulls Rick Astley's leg in one verse.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, in keeping with the purpose of this thread...

Here's "Walter Reed" by Michael Penn, which is freakin' brilliant.

"Coming Up Close" is better, and so is everything off their criminally ignored 3rd record "Everything's Different Now."

Here's "Coming Up Close" --

"That's Just What You Are" --

That was only marginally bigger than "I Could be Happy," which is the better song:

And man, did I have a crush on Clare Grogan back in the day.

Yeah, it was their only real American hit, but they probably have 20 better songs, including:

"One Step Beyond" --

"Night Boat to Cairo" --

"Tomorrow's Just Another Day" --

"The Sun and the Rain" --

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A couple of Nick Lowe favorites:

"Marie Provost," the true story of a silent film actress who was eaten by her dog --

"Half a Boy and Half a Man" --

9. Riptide

Good call. And then there's "When I Write the Book."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPVWONJzy80

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Their second album wasn't bad, they had a load of decent songs other than "Walking on Sunshine". Saw them open for Don Henley once and they kicked all kinds of ass.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

More from Lowe...

"American Squirm"

"So It Goes"

and "Bay City Rollers We Love You", which he wrote in an attempt to get dropped by his label, but it ended up going to #1 in Japan instead...

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure is one of the great one-off albums ever, followed closely by the Hindu Love Gods who were Warren Zevon, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry.

Draft saved Draft deleted