1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-Hit Wonders and songs they made that didn't suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Their debut is a power-pop classic, still sounds great all these years later. The critics hated their quasi-Beatles look (anyone remember Nuke The Knack?) and Doug Fieger was such a douche that when their second album flopped (helped no doubt by a savage review by Dave Marsh in Rolling Stone) they were pretty much done.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I never did tire of 'My Sharona'. Killer pop song, and a highly underrated guitar solo as well.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tony! Toni! Tone! probably had its biggest hit with "Feels Good," but "If I Had No Loot" is a great song.
    Looked it up, and "No Loot" actually charted higher. Still seems like "Feels Good" was more of a radio and dance club staple though.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Even with Posse on Broadway, I think I'd call Sir Mix A Lot a one-hit wonder.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Frustrated" has that Rolling Stones sound, doesn't it?
    They later came out with "Shattered," which is sort of similar.

6. three_bags_full

Tag Team -- Whoomp there it Is

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

They were far from a one-hit wonder. Five of their songs hit number one on the R&B charts.

Anniversary, It Never Rains In Southern California, Let's Get Down, Whatever You Want, they had a lot of amazing songs.

And they launched the career of Raphael Saadiq who is an incredibly talented artist. They've always been one of my favorites.

9. three_bags_full

Quad City DJs -- C'mon (Ride that Train)

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sister Hazel's only real hit was "All For You" in 1997.

They've released six studio albums since and every one of them has had a lot of great stuff.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Your Love by The Outfield is a great song.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, very much a Stones sound to that song.

Of course it didn't help that the first first single from their second album, "Baby Talks Dirty" was basically a rewrite of "My Sharona".

Draft saved Draft deleted