1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one-hit wonder quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Sep 18, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And what the hell happened to Stan Humphries and Chris Chandler. In the SB one year, seemingly out of the league the next.

Seems when I was a kid a team had a quarterback and he WAS there qb for years. Now they move around as much as punters. Do today's qbs suck more or what?

2. IU90

IU90 Member

How about David Woodley. Led the Dolphins to the Super Bowl in 82, lost his starting spot to rookie Dan Marino the beginning of the very next season.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh...I see.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Steve Young, Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer. I had to run through winning Super Bowl quarterbacks in my head twice before I remembered Dilfer was a 1st-rounder for Tampa.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then the Steelers brought him in to compete with Malone in '84, which left most Pittsburgh fans chanting for undersized (5-10) Scott Campbell.

5. zufer

zufer Active Member

Speaking of the Bucs, Shaun King led Tampa to a division playoff win in '99.

If the refs had gotten this call right, they're probably in the Super Bowl.

[​IMG]

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Gary Kubiak coming in off the bench (out of the wilderness really) to replace Elway and leading the Broncos on their only touchdown drive vs Bills in AFC Championship game, his last as a player. Retires because of injuries at 30, hints at what might have been. Steve Deberg was better than a one-hit but his play at what should have been journeyman stage with KC (1990 with a 101.2 quarterback rating, passing for 3,444 yards, 23 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions) ranks as a sorta REO Speedwagon late break-out.

YHS, etc

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Craig Kretzel (sp?) came in for the Bears on a Monday night when Grossman was hurt and threw a touchdown for his first career pass.

I'm not sure if he lasted the game.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Rusty Lisch

So bad that the Bears went with Walter Payton out of the single wing.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Jim Del Gaizo: Came in late and led the 1973 Packers to a victory. Started the next week and was so bad he was out of GB by the end of the year. And I think they gave up like two second-round picks for him.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

slappy....

you're talking about his current life as a fugitive, no?

Because, as you know, he sucked out loud all 16 games of the 1979 season.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Paul Justin was Johhny Unitas good against the Packers in '97 for the Colts. The then one-win Colts against the Super Bowl champs, Colts win in the RCA Dome.

John Fourcade led the Saints to the playoffs when Bobby Hebert held out. Granted, the Saints were 8-8 and Fourcade had little to do with it given that the Saints' D was very good, but still.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Quincy (sp?) Carter.

Draft saved Draft deleted