1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Hit Wonder Music Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 12, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This isn't a trivia question, just something that is bugging me. There was a mid-90's alternative band one hit wonder with a song about driving somewhere. I think it was based on a news item they read about a elderly women with dementia who wandered off or something. The reason it is bugging me is that a few years ago I bought a $1 CD from what I think was that band and kind of liked it, but cannot think of the name of the band or the CD.

2. justgladtobehere

I was thinking of The Way by Fastball and it is not the band that recorded the CD I was thinking of. It is some other 90's alternative band.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

96 Tears, ? and the Mysterians?

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Way was inspired by an elderly couple—with the wife suffering from dementia and the husband recovering from surgery—getting in a car and driving off only to be found dead later. If it isn't the song you were thinking of, do you remember anything more from it?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Indeed, and what a great song that was. I think I read somewhere that ? signs royalty checks under some Hispanic name, Rodriguez maybe, but that it is an alias as well.

6. justgladtobehere

I am totally blanking on anything about the song from the band with the CD I bought except the song was their one "hit" and I didn't like it.

I ended up kind of liking the CD I bought. It would have been released around 2006. It was a bit uneven because the song styles varied so much. I remember reading that the lead singer had moved to Nashville and had gotten sober. The album had some songs about that.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Was it the Drive-By Truckers?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Red Ryder?

9. justgladtobehere

I probably was thinking of Red Kross, which is much older and from California. Thought it was from Minnesota.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The bands from Minnesota I was thinking of were Semisonic, Marcy Playground and The Jayhawks. I think Marcy Playground formed in New York, but the lead singer is from Minneapolis and the band name came from a local school.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Was the MPLS band Spacehog?

Wiki edit: Nope.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fastball appeared last month at a small winefest around here. How hard they fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted