1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Hit Wonder Music Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That might be too late to encompass the hit-making portion of Soul Asylum's career. That's all I can think of.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Didn't even think of them. Do they count? They had lots of songs on rock radio, but maybe only one mainstream hit?

There have to be a lot of people with good stories of seeing bands there in the early 90s.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The band that did Closing Time and Red Red something.

[EDIT] I think the second band is just Red something. I confused that band with Red Red Meat.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Bingo. Here's the bad-synching video.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Now married to Sarah Gilbert.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This one-hit wonder duo had the No. 1 song in the USA on July 20, 1969, the date of the first manned moon landing, sold more than four million singles, then dropped out of sight. Song and artists.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That would be a song I hated more than any other one growing up: "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans. Gave me the creeps.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My earlier photo question was of none other than Mouth & MacNeal. Take a look at this video of "How Do You Do," and tell me what they're on. Especially the dude.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hey one I actually know ... well half of one... thank you late 90s MTV...
    Semisonic did Closing Time.

The second part of that I'm not sure of. Are you asking for a band with Red in it (like Simply Red) or a song with Red in it (like Something in Red)?

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The band's name starts with "Red."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

WKBW played that song about every half-hour that summer.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When people who weren't alive then tell you how uniformly great music in the 60s was, that's one of the songs I trot out to make the point that there was an awful lot of really bad music released in that decade, just as there was in every decade.

BTW, here's one from the 60s that anyone from that era ought to know: What was the one-hit wonder sung by someone who has never been publicly identified?

Draft saved Draft deleted