1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Hit Wonder Music Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Split Enz?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A-Ha "Take On Me."

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good memories, back when cell phones were rare, my home voicemail greeting was "This week's music trivia question is 'Who scored a top 40 hit with ____'"

Even interviewers remembered my greeting at interviews.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What TV theme song by this one-hit wonder hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, only to see the show cancelled the following week after just 12 episodes?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm frightened that I know this one. "How Do You talk to an Angel? " (The Heights).

6. Killick

What Scottish one-hitters were founded and fronted by a singer who killed himself in 2001 and was eulogized by U2's The Edge with "(They) wrote the songs U2 wishes it had written"?

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Big Country?

Killick likes this.
  8. Killick

Bingo. Here's another: Eddy Grant, fresh off the success of his one hit, "Electric Avenue," was commissioned to write the theme song for a big studio movie in 1984. When the filmmakers heard his work, though, they refused to use it — only including it subtly as background music in one scene. What flick?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Romancing the Stone

Killick likes this.
  10. Killick

Another: This band's hit officially had two videos. The first featured wildlife and the band's singer appearing but NOT singing, and was envisioned as a condemnation of lip-synching in vids. The record company, however, made them shoot another, so the band mocked the decision by synching horribly on purpose. (The song was later covered by another band and was a bigger chart success.)

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had thought it was U2's "One" until the last sentence. I got nothin'.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was thinking something by R.E.M., but I don't think any of their songs have been hit covers.

Draft saved Draft deleted