1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One hit wonder movie directors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Your point is good, but Cimino also directed an excellent picture called "Year Of The Dragon" a few years after the Heaven's Gate disaster. Perhaps it wasn't a hit, but it was good. Not sure why if they gave him that second chance that he didn't get anything afterward.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Adaptation was maybe the best movie of this decade.
    Apparently nobody got "The Game", but I'm with Mizzou -- that is a dynamite movie that is one of the most underrated of recent years. I love movies that mess with me without screwing with me.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Adaptation is one of the most creative, brilliant movies to come along in quite awhile. But I think most of the credit for it goes to Charlie Kauffman.

Speaking of CK...

So far, the winner of this thread should go to Michel Gondry, who directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I dunno, I heard good things about "The Science of Sleep"...plus, he's got a movie coming out this year with Jack Black and Mos Def.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Alex Cox was the first person I thought of. "Repo Man" is brilliant. "Sid and Nancy" is badly overrated. "Straight To Hell" is the worst film I've ever seen in a theater, and "Walker" is supposedly worse than "Straight To Hell," which is kind of hard to imagine.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just glad that the masses here have come out and supported my notion that Fight Club is a masterpiece and Jones is a fucking moron to mention Fincher on this thread...

7. Double Down

As usual, you're all class, Mizzou. But I'm glad you have "the masses" on your side. If ever there was a trump card needed to win an argument about art, it's certainly support of "the masses."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And as usual, you're a dipshit... This is all in fun... Go buy a sense of humor...

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Yeah, DD. Nobody's funnier than Mizzou.

In fairness, he also trotted out the "popular = good" argument on the books thread a while back, so at least he's consistent.

10. Double Down

I'm off to buy a sense of humor, but if you want Mizzou, I can also pick you up a fresh supply of ellipses. I fear ... you're ... running ... out.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the movie, absolutely hate that author. Otherwise I would have Jones' back.

12. Using "the masses" is definitely an overstatement, but I definitely support Mizzou's contention that Fight Club is a masterpiece.

Draft saved Draft deleted