1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One hit wonder movie directors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Good acting, good movie.

And one of the great "ummm. . .WHAT?!?!?" plot holes in movie history.

Hey, we're just two boys from Pennsylvania, assigned to the same platoon, hanging out in the war zone. Look! There's our buddy Mike from back home! We found each other as everything was hitting the fan in the middle of this country!!! Cool! Oh crap!! We're captured!! Good thing our leader from back home is here to get us through!!!!!

EDIT: Mizzou, I figured someone would mention that: correct on Avildsen also having directed The Karate Kid.

Or, as the MAD Magazine spoof called it, "The KaRocky Kid."

2. pa writer

pa writer Member

Thought of one more -- Dennis Hopper. "Easy Rider" ... and then what?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of the best names on this list are probably actors who got their first taste of directing and then didn't want to go back to it...

Back to the original post, wasn't the director of American History X the guy who tried to sue the studio to have his name completely removed from the film?

If that's the case, I'm not stunned that he's not working again, even though that was a hell of a powerful film...

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Blasphemer!!

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Jones, you're a hell of a writer and I respect you a lot...but you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

6. Agree here.
    Jones, you apparently see a much different movie than I do when you watch Fight Club.
    You have to remember that a lot of it is satire. Tyler Durden isn't really the hero of the film. He's an example of what can happen when people know just enough to be dangerous (and other people are dumb enough to blindly follow someone).
    Sit down and watch the thing again and see if you still think it's a piece of shit. If you do, well, you're just an insane person.

7. kokane_muthashed

"The Fountain" just came out on DVD last month or so.

8. kokane_muthashed

What about Richard Kelly? Did Donnie Darko, then ............ did Southland Tales ever come out? I wasn't a big fan of Darko, but I know those who are. I thought the movie was ........ interesting.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

So to claify ... is this one "hit" wonder or one good movie and then a bunch of bad ones, regardless of box office?

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

Boys, boys: I don't want to turn this into a Fight Club debate, but I thought -- and still think -- that it was a missed opportunity. Good book, turned into thirty minutes of wonder-on-your-face, groundbreaking flick, followed by a crushingly disappointing ninety.

Of all his movies, that's the one where Fincher most betrayed his music-video roots. It's Exhibit A for style over substance.

And besides, I read this thread title to mean "one-hit wonder" in the literal sense. Fincher has had one hit movie (Se7en, one of my all-timers) and then some near-misses and bombs.

Nobody's said whether they'd invest all their money in his next film, even if it's starring Brad Pitt.

He's a gamble, in every sense.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

How can you dislike any movie with Helena Bonham Carter saying, "I haven't been f**ked like that since grade school" ?

12. And it was a colossal piece of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted