1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One hit wonder movie directors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jul 1, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So this doesn't have a current events hook, but I found it interesting.
    I was looking at the wikipedia entry on American History X and found that it's director, Tony Kaye really hasn't directed anything since then.
    You could argue his case was fairly unique in that he tried having his name removed from the film.
    Still, it got me thinking: how many other movie directors have had one amazing movie and then seemed to fall off the face of the earth?
    According to Wikipedia, Kaye directed the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Dani California video but hasn't done any other movies.
    My movie director knowledge is fairly limited so I can't name off the top of my head other directors in similar roles.
    Robert Townsend maybe?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Martin Brest comes to mind. He hit big with Beverly Hills Cop, and Scent of a Woman then faltered at the box office with Midnight Run (why I have no idea, I love that movie) and faltered again at the box office with Meet Joe Black and Gigli. You can keep turning out profitable crap, but turn out unprofitable movies and it's tough getting more shots.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Kevin Costner.

Irvin Kershner.

John G. Avildsen.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I agree with ya on Midnight run. Didn't Breast also direct the god awful Gigli?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Joe Dante of Gremlins anyone?
    Simon West of ConAir?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Simon West also directed the first Tomb Raider movie.

7. Joe Dante directed a great movie called Matinee starring John Goodman as a character based on William Castle. He also has directed some stuff that has popped up on Showtime including one of the remakes of '50s JD flicks they were doing a few years back as well as one or two episodes of Masters of Horror.

8. I love this film but hadn't heard anything about a controversy until you mentioned it.
    I know Wikipedia isn't the world's most reliable information source, but it sounds like Kaye is just nuts (though he directed one hell of a film).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kaye_(director)

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

michael cimino -- "the deer hunter"

end. of. thread.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Tony Kaye directed a documentary about the abortion issue., called "Lake of Fire" It played at some film festivals and got great reviews. It didn't sound like a feel-good movie however...supposed to be one of those things that had something to disturb you no matter how you felt about abortion.
    I read somewhere he's getting ready to direct kind of an action-sounding flick..."Black Water Transit"

Oh, and when you talk about one hit wonder directors...John Singleton leaps to mind. From "Boyz in the Hood" to doing a fuckin' "Fast and the Furious" movie.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

How about Jake Kadan (son of Lawrence), who directed Zero Effect, with Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller? It's a really original dark comedy about a talented yet socially inept private detective. But it wasn't that much of a "hit," and I see now he also directed "Orange County," so maybe he doesn't count?

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Terrence Malick almost always pops up in this discussion. Best director at Cannes for Days of Heaven then didn't make another movie for 20 years. Has another movie coming out next year. He, hasn't made a bad movie, but his thwo since Days of Heaven were not up to his standards. Days of Heaven won an Oscar for cinematography, but was the kinmd of story that was never going to get nominated in many categories back in 1979.

Draft saved Draft deleted