1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One hell of a coverage area

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Greg Rajan, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Greg Rajan

Greg Rajan New Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: That's one hell of a coverage area

Might he be saying he covered a HS game Manziel played in rather than saying he covered Manziel's team on a regular basis?

3. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

Or perhaps he worked at another paper?

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

This is what I'm thinking ... a HS game or two (or five) ... and probably having occasion to pay more attention to him than other HS quarterbacks in the state. Maybe blogged about him. I didn't get the impression he was saying it was his regular beat.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nah, Solomon's been at the Houston Chronicle for years. According to their schedule on MaxPreps.com, Tivy didn't play any games east of Austin in Manziel's senior year, though they did play Austin-Lake Travis twice, and that's theoretically the kind of big state-wide game the Chron could have staffed.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/tivy-antlers-%28kerrville,tx%29/football-fall-10/schedule.htm

6. Greg Rajan

Greg Rajan New Member

Very true, Snake. As a Texas sports editor, it'd be great to be able to cover marquee out-of-area games like that. I'm jealous of those who get to do that.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't they go to state? I imagine a paper like the Houston Chronicle would cover an event like the state football championship.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think so (at least not his senior year), but he set all kinds of individual records, so he's the kind of player reporters from all over the state would probably come cover at some point.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty of people define covering a player as sitting in a press box at a game or two the guy played in.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe he dialed long distance.

[​IMG]

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just bored enough to do a pretty extensive database search, and I couldn't find any Solomon pieces mentioning Kerrville Tivy during the time Manziel was there.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe he "covered" him for another outlet, like a recruiting mag or Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

Draft saved Draft deleted