1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Great Song On a Crap Album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm just thinning my physical record collection, loading up the songs I like onto iTunes and then hawking the disc. (Do people buy used c.d.'s anymore?) In so doing, I'm realizing that some songs I really, really like are lost in the middle of otherwise forgettable pieces of shit.

This is different from the classic definition of a one-hit wonder; maybe it's just one bad album in a band's otherwise stellar career, but at least they got it right for one three-minute slice.

For instance, I'm currently listening to the bells come in at the end of "Maria" by Blondie. It's a fantastic song, perfect ear candy, but it's track 3 on "No Exit," the aural equivalent of a strap-on dildo, especially when Debbie Harry raps.

Next up, "Work for Food," track 2 on Dramarama's kinda lame "Hi-Fi Sci-Fi."

Followed by "Camera One," track 5 on the Josh Joplin's Group "Useful Music," a totally false title.

2. I have at least 50 albums that I bought on the strength of one song only to discover the flood of dreck waiting beneath.
    I'll get back to you on this, Jonesy.

3. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Wow, Jones. You bought those albums? Wow. Maybe I'm better off at my paltry salary. At least my CD rack has less clutter.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

BB, my brother, in my defense, Blondie and dramarama were graft. But I did buy the Josh Joplin one. Fucking terrible. Although I really like "Camera One," especially the chick's background vocal, "You're playing you now." I can remember the first time I heard it, driving -- and dammit, songs always sound better in the car or on a plane -- the radio announced who did it, and I pulled into the store and bought it, all within ten minutes.

Sometimes I can be rash.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm glad others liked the JJ Group's song, but I just downloaded it back in the day :D

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

It's getting worse. Man, I have some bad taste.

"So Sad to Say" off The Mighty Mighty Bosstones's "Pay Attention."

"Teenage Dirtbag" off Wheatus's self-titled pile of manure. (I think this might quality as a traditional one-hit wonder.)

And I'm going to turn in my man card after loading up "The Dresses Song" by Lisa Germano ("Happiness"). I'm not sure this one counts even as a one-hit wonder.

Note to self: No more falling in love with a song whilst high and then buying the record whilst not.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I'm proud of you for voluntarily turning in your man card, but I'm going to cancel my Esquire subscription in protest, too. That's just sad, dude! ;)

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

The other way around would be perfectly acceptable, it should be noted.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Today has not been a good day for my pride.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

See, now here's a couple of interesting cases, at least to me, at least on this freezing cold and prideless Saturday.

Therapy? was a much-hyped Irish (I think) metal band, featured in Spin all the time. I think it's probably still okay to like them. I bought all of their records like I should have in my efforts to be a cutting edge college radio guy, but the fact is, I don't like them much. I just ripped "Gone" off "Nurse," which as far as I remember is a classic in the genre, but that's the only nugget I can mine from it.

Same with Dinosaur Jr.'s "Bug" album -- SST Records, 1988, totally legitimate pedigree. But if I'm being honest, I like "The Post" and not much else.

Not coincidentally, I have several dozens discs currently available in a box at my front door, cheap.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

In a similar vein....I'm a diehard Dinosaur Jr. fan, but the only decent song on "Hand it Over" is "I'm Insane".

12. Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted