1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One for the little guys in Athletes v. NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 1, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Per usatoday:

A U.S. District Court judge in San Francisco has denied the NCAA's motion to dismiss a class-action antitrust lawsuit on behalf of former college men's basketball players suing over the use of their images and likenesses in video content and memorabilia.

The NCAA and Collegiate Licensing Company are co-defendants in the suit.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-02-08-judge-approves-ncaa-suit_N.htm

Good to see the NCAA p*gs get their backlash from their continuing exploitation of the NCAA "scholar-athletes." Travesty that the athletes supposedly waived their rights "in perpetuity (meaning forever)" for the meager privilege to wear the jerseys. Maybe this will tip the scales towards the athletes somewhat.

2. Bout time.
    This is looong overdue.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I hate like hell when the NCAA does its "investigating" and picks and chooses who it sanctions.
    The ongoing Romero Sydney deal (either tell him he's never gonna play or make him eligible) is an example of their Gestapo-like tactics.
    How they've gotten away with all they've done thru the years is beyond me.

But, I don't think paying athletes a damn dime is required or necessary or expected.
    The athletes get a $100,000-plus education, free food for four or five years, free clothing, countless $100-handshakes, I'm sure, and they get to pretty much do as they please as long as they go to class.
    Even the ones who don't go to class get all of the above for at least two years before they are asked to move on.
    Damn, we don't need to pay athletes a dime.
    If they are so damn good, let them go play in the NBA or the millions of leagues overseas.
    That's good money that they can earn, if they are good enough.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It sounds to me like this is former players whose likenesses are being used without their permission on 'classic' teams included in the game, not the current players themselves.

Am I correct in that assertion?

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

C'mon, Blitz.

It's Renardo. It's Sidney.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You realize that when O'Bannon attended UCLA the "registration"(no tuition) fees at UC were $1,500 per year right?

That's right, if they are good enough to be pros, let them. But don't pretend that they are getting a great bargain when the bring 30,000 to the Carrier Dome. As I've written previously, its a one way renewable year to year scholarship. For that its okay to use their likeness forever? Not in my book.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My bad, I've got as niece in Sacramento named Sydney and my daughter's name is Sydnee.
    With this past year's dealings with the Sidney story, I've done that more than once.
    Good catch.
    Romaro, I can't explain that one.
    Unless I was thinking of current eligible MSU player Romero Osby.
    I guess I was typing too fast in my attempts to keep athletes from being paid one red penny.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A $100,000 scholarship that they don't get to fully use because they are busy traveling to road games instead of sitting in class and getting to do other activities like a student athlete. If the NCAA really cared about their students, they'd ban road trips longer than 100 miles or so during the school week. If it cuts down on the schedule, oh well.

Free clothes? Sure, if they're the sponsor school. Heaven forbid if a kid wanted to wear something other than from the sponsor.

$100 handshakes? Sure, until the NCAA finds out and decides to put Cleveland St. on probation.

Either college sports is a business, or it isn't. If the NCAA truly wants to be for the student-athletes, then get rid of all the money. Donate every dime for scholarships for the rest of the student population. Make coaches actually teach classes in the classroom, instead of recruiting 8th graders. Cut down on the coach phone calls, text messages etc.

Or, keep the money flow going and let the players get what they want.

Frankly, in this case, I'm surprised that some player hasn't challenged the NCAA LOI rule if they were under 18 when they signed it. A kid under age 18 legally is considered incapable of consenting to a contract. Not only that, technically, the NCAA doesn't have anything to do with the LOI.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Don't the parent also have to sign the LOI, which, if they do, makes it legal.
    Up to 6 on each roster (estimated) are good enough to at least play in Europe.
    If they are dedicated, they will study during the season, including the 15 road games, and also do work when they aren't in season.
    8-to-10 of them on each roster aren't gonna play past college.
    They can have a degree in hand when its over, and will have been well-taken care of leading up to it.
    I just can't justify it, Baron.
    They all come out of H.S. thinking they are the next Allen Iverson or Kobe Bryant.
    They are given much by the universities already, including money.
    The golfers aren't and neither are the volleyballers.
    They'll be the first to line up for handouts if this legislation over passed.
    Let's don't do it.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What legislation? The right to privacy is already there. This is about a violation of one's right to privacy and ability to control the use of their likeness.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This is about MONEY.
    Former players want money.
    They do not want the schools to stop using their likeness.
    It gives them huge boners to see their likeness used after they are gone.
    They love it.
    These are crocodile tears.
    They want MONEY.

Draft saved Draft deleted