1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One dinner. Four journalists. And you. Whom do you choose?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 11, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I had just such a dinner set up. I was headed to a final four basketball game in St. Louis. I was to meet Mitch Albom and two other esteemed columnists. The two cancelled and Mitch and I met Mateen Cleaves and Jason Richardson instead. Oh wait...

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Dave Kindred
    Hunter S. Thompson
    Van McKenzie
    John Feinstein

Although my head would hurt after dinner because of too much information. And screw taking notes, I'm turning on my tape recording and letting them go at it. I'd learn more the second time I listened.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Chuck Culpepper
    Charles P. Pierce
    Joe Posnanski
    Van McKenzie

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I enjoy the style of writing that has equal parts description and quality turns of phrase, with a good measure of that confidence/arrogance of having such a reputation that you can do whatever you want as far as expressing an opinion and taking chances with the language.

Ebert fits that bill, as do Murray and Dr. Z. Koppel had that in TV for a long time; his Jim Bakker interview, for instance, remains a classic.

None of these guys are timid, none of them get nervous when wondering if something will work. That's an ideal way to be.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Culpepper's great. He spoke to about a half-dozen students at the student paper my junior year in college and was one of the nicest guys around. He'd agreed early in the summer and it ended up being the week before he left the Oregonian for Newsday when he came to town. Great guy.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jeff Passan, Peter Gammons, Dick Schaap and Woody Paige. Think of the conversations.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hunter S. Thompson, Truman Capote, Molly Ivins and Maureen Dowd.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Technically, Dr. Seuss was a journalist. He was an editorial cartoonist before he started writing and illustrating children books. Pretty controversial one too, did most of his work during WWII. Very intersting choice.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

ducky, whenever I realize I don't have a voice in my work, I want to emulate Chuck more than ever. He's been my "mentor/inspiration" my whole career. He's why I'm in this field.

The fact he's been a kick-ass friend makes it all the better.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the best list I've seen so far...

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I love Hunter Thompson's writing, but I don't know what kind of a dinner guest he would make.
    Alan Malamud (sic?) tops my list. I haven't seen his name is so long, I can't remember how to spell it.
    PJ O'Rourke
    Mark Twain
    Lindsay Soto, even though I'm not sure what she could contribute to the conversation, but she would nice to look at over martinis afterward.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Since almost half of my career was spent painting word pictures on radio, I confess to cheating a little ...

Sid Collins, Voice of the Indianapolis 500
    Ernie Harwell
    Red Barber
    Jim McKay

Draft saved Draft deleted