1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One dinner. Four journalists. And you. Whom do you choose?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 11, 2007.

1. I thought this might be interesting. Everyone has different styles and personalities they enjoy to read...

Pick four, living or dead, sports writers (or any writers, I guess) to grab a dinner with. Not a shitty bite to eat either -- we're talking Ruth's Chris Steak House with a fliet mignon, broccoli au gratin, garlic mashed potatoes and that banana shit that is amazing...

Mine:

Dick Schaap
    Gay Talese
    Bill Plaschke
    J.R. Moehringer

I was tempted to include Gary Smith, but he doesn't seem like a guy who'd be good conversation, especially about journalism. He's my favorite writer, but I imagine his talent being completely innate, something he couldn't explain or share. . Also wanted to include Stephen A. Oh wait, no I didn't.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bernstein, Lisa Olsen, Selena Roberts and Jemele Hill.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mike Royko
    Hunter S. Thompson
    W.C. Heinz
    David Simon

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Edgar Allan Poe, P.J. O'Rourke, the person who wrote "Footprints in the Sand" and Dr. Seuss.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dr. Seuss was a journalist?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He did say writers . . .

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I never got why it was called "Ruth's Chris" . . .maybe it shows I know little of haute cuisine or something, but what the hell does that mean?

Let's say we're at Lawry's . . .

Dr. Z
    Roger Ebert
    Jim Murray
    Ted Koppel (a TV guy, sure, but a hell of a journalist whose brain I would love to pick)

If it has to be four writers, then replace the TV guy with Neil Peart.

EDIT: found the Ruth's Chris info. Does nothing to diminish my view that it's a stupid name.

History
    The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name.[5] Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world.[6]

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Missed that part in parentheses. Carry on.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ring Lardner.
    Jim Murray.
    Bob Woodward.
    Edward R. Murrow.

10. Scoop Jackson, Jason Whitlock, Mike Lupica, Bob Ryan.

Ruth's Chris will never be the same.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Joe Mitchell, A.J. Liebling, Budd Schulberg and Susan Orlean.

I'm old enough to have had lunch with Mitchell, maybe the nicest fellow you could ever come across. Had dinner at Schulberg's. I know one of these things doesn't belong but I'm a fan of SO.

YHS, etc

12. pallister

pallister Guest

In the four writers I'd like to go to a buffet with category: Whitlock, Bill Conlin, the guy who wrote "Footprints in the Sand" and Dr. Seuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted