1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One day to Jazz Fest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Mar 25, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn, wish I was going. You decide between the Truckers or the local band for the first day?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My only JazzFest experience came in 2001. Dave Matthews, Cowboy Mouth and the North Mississippi All-Stars were all on the same stage back-to-back-to-back, and it was a nightmare. Crowds so thick you couldn't walk. Seriously.

I had to walk about 300 meters to get beer and take a leak. It took me about two and a half hours. The crowd was awful. People were pushing and shoving, and kids were getting stepped on. I finally found some Mr. Clean-looking dude, grabbed his shirt and told him to get us through the crowd (for a beer, of course).

Never. Ever. Will I go back.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That's what we in the business call a rookie mistake. Always. Avoid. DMB. Always.

Also, avoid other jam bands and Buffett. The crowds those days are far too big to be enjoyable, even if you like their music. I'm skipping acts I really, really want to see this year because of DMB.

4. WWOZ has really cranked up the playlist in anticipation.
    Be well, Del B, you've earned it.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm always willing to pay that price when the Allman Brothers come to Jazz Fest. They were great a couple years ago. Not here this year, though.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

This applies everywhere, at all times.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I hate that I'm going to miss it, but I opted to spend four days in New York instead. And I'm headed to Chicago for a week in June.

I will head down to NOLA at some point this summer, though.

8. Del_B_Vista

Wilco was awesome today. They were goofy and funny, two traits that aren't usually associated with Wilco.

At another stage earlier in the day, I went to see Judith Owen. I'd heard her on Whad'Ya Know a couple months ago, followed a couple weeks later by show with her husband Harry Shearer. They live part-time in NOLA, so it wasn't surprising to see them there. I found out the Hornets score when Shearer announced it during sound check. As the set was beginning, I realized that four rows in front of me (it was a smaller stage with seats) was sitting Kurtwood Smith. Shearer played bass on a couple songs, very low-key contributions.

Also, I was surprised to find people drinking beer at the Fair Grounds today. I was pretty sure I drank all the beer in New Orleans last night.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you yelled "SKIIIINNER" you will be my hero for life...

10. Del_B_Vista

Stick with your old hero for life, unfortunately.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One week from today: Neil Young and the Radiators. Tickets arrived a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait.

Over the years, I've figured out the best way to avoid the crowd crush is not to worry about getting too close. I usually try to get about halfway back from the stage and fairly close to the main walkways, so it's not too hard to bug out when a particular act is done. The fact that I don't drink beer any more mitigates the need to be near the portapotties.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah Neil Young and the Neville Brothers are on the same stage as Jazz Fest comes to a close next Sunday. It's a rare Sunday off for me so I might be down.

Draft saved Draft deleted