1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One day to Jazz Fest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Normally, I post things like this about 24 hours before the event happens, leaving roughly two hours for me to actually check if anybody's going. This is probably going in the other extreme, but it's one month until the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The "cubes" went up today (http://www.nojazzfest.com).

Anybody else going? You can check my plans at the BLOGS!!! listed below.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Re: One month to Jazz Fest

I would love to go to this, especially since the Truckers are playing. But no way I can make it this year. Maybe next.

3. Del_B_Vista

Drive-By Truckers are on my must-see list, but they are playing at the same time as Trombone Shorty, who are also on that list. The stages are at opposite ends of the Fair Grounds. I may choose Drive-By Truckers over the local act, but I'm such an old fogey these days that calling NOLA "local" is a real stretch.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Outside the few headliners, how long do all the acts get to play?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

In helping make the aforementioned decision, very few people will ever get to see the Truckers AND Booker T together, so there's that.

6. Del_B_Vista

On the smaller stages, it's 40-55 minutes usually. Bigger stage acts get longer. Truckers are scheduled for 70 minutes, and the Jazz Fest folks are pretty much fascists about the schedule.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn, I may have to quit my job.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wife and I are going the last day to see Neil Young, followed by the Radiators. Still (vaguely :eek:) recall the early days when the Rads used to play at the Maple Leaf Bar. Some good times were had back then.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Same here.

Dr. John, Bonnie Rait, Earth Wind and Fire, The O'Jays, Tab Benoit, Allen Toussaint, Emmylou Harris, AND B-U-D-D-Y G-U-Y?!?!

If the reanimated corpses of John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf and Professor Longhair showed up, it'd be the greatest festival ever.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I was going to go for the second weekend but my buddy that I was going to stay with has to work most of Friday and Saturday. I may still head down there. I had a blast last year, and Trombone Shorty was awesome.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I went there when I was 16. It was OK. Though I wish I were five or six years older before going.

12. Del_B_Vista

Tomorrow's my last day at the mine before a week-plus Jazz Fest extravaganza. I plan to enjoy it thoroughly. Let me know if anybody else will be there first Friday and Saturday, then second Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted