1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One day away from Disney in LA, fun with family ideas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I should have noted that we are not travelling until 3rd week of March. It is looking like day at the beach will probably the way to go.

If we had more time we would do LaBrea but we have this close to home that the kids love.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

No Compton gang tour for me unfortunately however may send my wife and 16 year old on the TMZ bus for something fun.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you see a Tommy's joint, I'd hit it. You know, it'll wreck you digestive tract for weeks afterward but that only means it tastes to good.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Universal tour is worthwhile for a family.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Long Beach Aquarium is tremendous. Tar Pits is fabulous as well (we went to both this past summer).

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely on the Tar Pits.

California Science Center in Exposition Park is very cool and you can take them to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour. My twin niece and nephew (6 at the time) loved it last spring when we took them.

You're doing well with In-N-Out. Santa Monica Pier is good (and near the Third Street Promenade). If you're going to stay in O.C., Huntington Beach and/or Newport are good. So is Laguna.

It's supposed to rain Friday through Monday, so take that into account in terms of "STORM WATCH '14!!!" and the idiot drivers -- well, more idiot than usual -- who will come out of the woodwork. It's maybe rained five times in the 14 months I've been here.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Of course, a "storm" in Southern California often amounts to less than a quarter of an inch of rain. People in other parts of the country would laugh at what's considered "rain" or "a storm" in So Cal.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Newport Beach/Balboa Island is mellow, has one of the world's shortest boat rides ($1 ferry), you can walk around the island, there's a ferris wheel, you can eat fairly cheap at Ruby's at the end of the pier. Highly recommended.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will second this, we love Balboa, we have done the ferris wheel and I love having lunch on the balcony at Newport Landing and watching the world go by.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Which isn't saying much.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

If you have time, the Peterson Auto Museum in Mid-City near the LA County Museum. This is especially good if you have sons, but daughters will also enjoy it.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We spent an afternoon doing this during a spring break trip to the South Bay/Newport Beach area, and it was great. Rented two tandem bikes, rode up to Newport Pier and back to the Balboa peninsula, then refueled at the Ruby's at the end of Balboa pier. Even got to see some seals swimming among the waves.

A fun afternoon for two 42-year-olds and two adolescent kids.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Probably should update what we ended up doing.

Got a smoking deal on a full size from Dollar rent a car, $177 for 8 days. The upsell attempts were pathetic and desperate, these guys are real bottom feeders. I managed to work in a lame "I left my wallet in El Segundo" reference that freaked out my wife and got me blank stares from the king of the upsell.

In N Out on Sepulveda on night of arrival, family loved it and thought planes were cool.

Other than Disneyland we did Huntington Beach, Santa Monica Pier and Hollywood Blvd which was even worse than I thought it would be. Kids loved Huntington Beach. Next time we go back we will rent a beach house somewhere and just hang out.

We also experienced our first earthquake which was pretty freaky. My wife and I were sitting on the couch when everything started to rumble, seemed to last for quite a while. I compared it to moderate turbulence on an airplane.

Draft saved Draft deleted