1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One cost-cutting move I can get behind

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 12, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In our 36K universe, we have printed two editions – a regional edition at 11:15 p.m. and an edition for our "home" county at 12:15 a.m.

Now, we're printing one edition at 11:30 p.m.

Yeah, we're gonna miss a few late scores.

We're also going to all be home at midnight or so.

I'll call it a push.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

Speaking of cost-cutting moves, we got word today that there is a possibility--"possibility" was emphasized--that we might be cutting out our AP service. we are a small daily that has had the full-fledged AP service for a long time, but we stress almost total local coverage every day. granted, we don't go big time heavy on wire stories, but it's there to help out and--of course--for particularly big stories nationally.
    but it's either cutting that out or maybe losing an employee. pick your poison.
    it just doesn't get any better for any of us right now, does it?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some dailies would only be four or eight pages if they gave up AP.

4. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Isn't two-years notice required in terminating an AP contract?

5. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Aren't there different levels of AP service where there is a cheap package where you get a lot of stories but not all the agate — something like that. If you're on one of the more expensive packages, can you just get one of the cheaper ones??

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know my small daily just dropped AP photo a few months ago, but still gets all the text.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I do know that twice-weeklies can sign up for something called AP Newsfinder. It's a text-only service, and it moves 24 hours after the story moves on the actual wire.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

We did the same thing a couple months ago. And I don't think one person in the newsroom complained. We kept the second deadline, so we actually gained a half hour, and now the news folks don't have to re-do 1A for our metro edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted