1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One black. One white. One blonde. One dead.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

'Mod Squad' Actor Tige Andrews, 86, Dies
    By Associated Press
    Mon Feb 5, 8:09 PM

LOS ANGELES - Tige Andrews, the Emmy-nominated character actor who portrayed a police captain in charge of a trio of hip, young crime fighters in "The Mod Squad," has died. He was 86.

Andrews died Jan. 27 of cardiac arrest at his home in the San Fernando Valley, his family said.

The actor often played detectives during his television career, which spanned five decades and included appearances on more than 60 shows. His daughter said he was proud of his stint as Capt. Adam Greer on "The Mod Squad," which aired during the late 1960s and early 1970s. The popular TV drama starred three young actors _ Clarence Williams III, Michael Cole and Peggy Lipton.

"He felt the show made a big difference because it was one of the first television series to address social issues such as drugs, prostitution and teen pregnancy that were more hush-hush before that time," said Barbara Andrews, one of the actor's six children.

Tiger Andrews was born March 19, 1920, in Brooklyn, N.Y. His parents, following Syrian custom, named him after a strong animal to ensure good health for their son, his family said.

His mother died when he was 3, and his father, who ran a fruit stand, later remarried. Andrews was wounded while serving in the Army during World War II and, after returning home, graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

In 1955, Andrews appeared in the off-Broadway revival of "The Threepenny Opera." Later that year, director John Ford cast him in the film version of "Mister Roberts" after seeing his Broadway performance. Family members said Ford was a major influence on Andrews.

The actor's wife of 46 years, Norma Thornton, died in 1996.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not a good past month for the Mod Squad. RIP.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

for a minute there you had me mourning the loss of peggy lipton. thank goodness it's not that! 8) 8) 8)

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fear not, Shockey. Ms. Lipton is still allive (now 60 years old) and as of this 2004 pic still looking pretty damn good:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2638/PeggyLipto_Kambo_3826392_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Lipton,%20Peggy&seq=3

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ms. Lipton's daughter is Rashida Jones, of The Office. but you already knew that

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

She looks THAT good at 57? Holy crap.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God knows how much work and money it took to keep her looking like that.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Just let me echo about Peggy Lipton: Holy crap!!! She looks amazing.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Did not know that. Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton certainly made a beautiful baby.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this was about George Thorogood's comeback attempt.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

And here I always thought his real name was Eldrick. Silly me.

Seriously, RIP.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

In the SportsJournalists.com version of Mod Squad, I envision spnited as the police captain and sportsbruh, IJAG and BYH as the younger cops. I see plenty of dramatic conflict ensuing.

Draft saved Draft deleted