1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-album wonders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely belongs here. Jim Steinman wrote all the songs for the follow up but Meat blew his voice out touring Bat Out of Hell and couldn't sing them. So Steinman recorded the songs as an album called Bad For Good.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just had some Boz Scaggs drift through the iPod ("Breakdown Dead Ahead", probably his last hit a million years ago). Whatever happened to him? He did some amazing stuff in the 70s. Frampton Comes Alive is a great call too.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I really liked Men at Work back in the day, and some might consider "Business as Usual" in this thread, though I really liked "Cargo" also.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Gotta agree with whoever said The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

That's the only album Lauryn will ever make (Unplugged was shit and her day has long passed) and it was damn near perfect.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

An emphatic "no" on Midnight Oil, which had great records before and after "Diesel and Dust." They didn't have the commercial success of that one, but Midnight Oil was not a one-album wonder.

Also, the best stuff of the Hoodoo Gurus was scattered over 4+ albums. "Stoneage Romeos" was probably the best album, but didn't have "Bittersweet," "Like Wow - Wipeout," "Come Anytime," "Good Times," "What's My Scene," or "Miss Freelove '69" on it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It went to No. 1 in the UK. Shocked to see that it only charted 58th in the U.S. "Live Forever" was ubiquitous on radio in my neck of the woods.

I couldn't put Oasis in a one-album wonder category. No way. Even "Don't Believe the Truth," released in 2005, had a huge rock radio single in "Lyla" and has sold 7 million copies worldwide.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shit, I'll say it.

Exile on Main Street

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is there an album called "Born to Run" by an artist I am not aware of?

Otherwise ...

???????????????????????????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????????????

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think he has written songs since 1975 that come close to Born to Run or Jungleland. And he has written a lot of songs since 1975.

Prior to Born to Run, great songs, but I just think he peaked way too soon.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't think John Steinbeck has written books since 1939 that come close to Of Mice and Men or The Grapes of Wrath. And he has written a lot of books since 1939.

Prior to The Grapes of Wrath, great books, but I just think he peaked way too soon.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

On the best album of the 80s thread E Street Joe brought up Huey Lewis and he certainly would fit here. I worked at Kingswood Music Theatre, a 15,000-seat shed outside Toronto, in the summer of 1984 and he sold it out for two nights touring behind Sports which had come out the previous year. Hard to imagine now how big he was then.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I always thought of "The Power of Love" and "Hip to be Square" as Huey Lewis and the News' biggest hits. Sports was definitely their only great album, though.

Fore! with "Hip to be Square," "Stuck on You" and "Jacob's Ladder" was the group's best-selling album.

Draft saved Draft deleted