1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-album wonders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

and of course its companion piece:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just looked and Silverchair has hit number one on the Australia charts with each of their five albums (last one in 2007). I looked them up because I had heard of them through "Neon Ballroom", since my brother had that cd and played it fairly often.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Crikey!

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to chunder up a Vegemite sandwich.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I still can't believe this thread started with Silverchair, i.e. grunge for preschoolers (and a then-27-year-old YGBFKM).

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I nominate Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Almost 30 years later, it's still fun to listen to.

Then, of course, the record company persuaded then to cover another Slade tune, Kevin DuBrow's big mouth turned everyone in the music industry against them, and it was pretty much over.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was about to launch a defense of Silverchair solely on the basis of "Tomorrow" when I realized I haven't paid attention while listening to "Tomorrow" in almost a decade. Threw it on the ol' YouTube player. Holy fuck. It's like an anorexic Australian 12-year-old goth chick heard "Black Hole Sun" and "Alive" and thought, "This shit is easy."

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

T-Ride.

Three guys never sounded so huge (King's X fans can disagree). Aside from Steve Vai, Geoff Tyson was the only other student to "graduate" from Joe Satriani's guitar lessons.

http://darksinistar.hubpages.com/hub/10-Albums-You-Need-To-Hear-2-T-Ride-by-T-Ride

*Rush exempted

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First one that comes to mind for me is Get The Knack by The Knack. Just a great power pop album that is definitely more than "My Sharona" (also contains a cool cover of Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat")[/crossthread].

There was a huge critical backlash at the time over the band's Beatlesesque album cover and Doug Fieger's overall douchebagedness but more than 30 years after its release it still sounds damn good. The Knack was living proof of the old music bidness adage that you get your whole life to make your first album, six months to make the second one. Dave Marsh memorably savaged their follow up in Rolling Stone and that was pretty much it.

Fieger died a couple of years ago and drummer Bruce Gary, who was sensational n the debut, died in 2006.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Asia's first album, Asia.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Gaslight Anthem is another band that might be heading to this category. After a decent debut effort they blew up - deservedly so - with The '59 Sound and all of sudden Brian Fallon was everywhere as the greatest Springsteen acolyte and thief ("No surrender my Bobby Jean") alive.

Then they came out with American Slang which had few high points and sounded like nothing more than warmed-over '59 Sound outtakes. But I have hope for their next album, Fallon's solo acoustic album last year was pretty good.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think you're undervaluing American Slang a bit. Also, '59 Sound was easily one of my top five albums of the 2000s so it was going to be tough for them to measure up to that. Like you, though, I have high hopes for the next one.

Draft saved Draft deleted