1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-album wonders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

For those of us who truly enjoy the value of music (sorry, rap fans :D), we've all had those albums that were memorable and/or transcendent in our younger days, but the artist/band never did anything worth a shit again.

Tops on my list would be Silverchair's Frogstomp. I LOVED that album when it came out. It's still a great listen (the first 6 songs are perfectly suited for a 30-minute workout), but who knows what happened to those kids? After Frogstomp, there was that douchey song about anorexia that sucked, but for all I know, they're all dead now (and if they are, it's a great loss).

Anyway, what are some of your one-album wonders?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank you for this gift. It will continue giving as long as there is an SportsJournalists.com.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So few probably know them, they're not even considered a "wonder," but they are in the Dangerously house, and have been ever since I discovered this many years ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

We do wonder who the hell they are! :D

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Television's "Marquee Moon"

Sex Pistol's "Never Mind the Bollocks"

Hootie and the Blowfish "Cracked Rearview"

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Available in eight-track or LP!

http://www.discogs.com/Stillwater-Stillwater/release/2913227

(And on CD, actually, from another source. :) )

Oh, and ...

and ...

and ...

and ...

and ...

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Gin Blossoms, New Miserable Experience. Incredible record all the way through.

Follow up was mediocre, then one of the band members killed himself, and it was over.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Buckshot LeFonque's "Buckshot LeFonque"
    Mother Love Bone's "Apple"
    Spacehog's "Resident Alien"
    The Nixon's "Foma"
    Toadies' "Rubberneck"
    Reel Big Fish's "Turn the Radio Off"

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Let's see ... off the top of my head:

Urge Overkill, "Saturation" -- Not just a one-hit wonder; plenty of good songs on there besides "Sister Havana." But the follow up (Exit the Dragon) sucked, and they pretty much disappeared after that.

Liz Phair, "Exile in Guyville" -- Actually listened to this a few weeks ago, and it still sounds good. Her follow up, other than the one about a dude who f&#@*s like a volcano, wasn't too good, and she's turned into an older version of Avril Lavigne since.

The Darkness, "Permission to Land" -- Great album from the 2000s, and then the brothers went on a "One Way Ticket to Hell ... and Back" and pretty much imploded.

And anyone who's thinking about "I Should Coco" by Supergrass being on this list can STFU! :D

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Soul Asylum, Grave Dancers Union

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They played at a street fair down the street from my house two summers ago. If there were 75 people watching, I'd be surprised. It made me really sad.

Two of mine:
    ESG - ESG
    Luscious Jackson - Fever In, Fever Out

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes. Every other album they put out was shit. Second the Toadies nod.

Matchbox 20's first album probably fits as well. The second record was OK. But that first one was really good.

Draft saved Draft deleted