1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"One account, baby."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 5, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated with how celebrities and athletes do their banking. Floyd Mayweather lets us all in on his method, which is a lot like how most of us do our banking, minus the ridiculous balance, of course.

"He looks around to make sure nobody is watching before holding out a slip of paper cupped in his right hand. It is a bank slip, and Floyd is watching me watch it as my eyes attempt to focus on the balance........There is more than $123 million in Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s bank account. He nods, folds the slip and says, "One account, baby."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9630673/floyd-mayweather-last-great-prizefighter-espn-magazine

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

He is just a tad over the FDIC insurance limit here...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a great anecdote. It will be even better in 20 years when Mayweather is flat broke and wondering what happened to his money.

Then again, he might have that $300 daily ATM limit helping him out.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Then you have guys like former Giants DB Will Allen, who walk around with $150,000 worth of jewelry on:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/giants/2001-07-09-allen-robbery.htm

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was also that story about Manny Ramirez asking a sportswriter to get something out of his glove compartment and the writer finding an $800K paycheck that Ramirez forgot to put in the bank.

6. JackReacher

The first words of the Mayweather story...

"HE IS STANDING in a jewelry store that caters to the top sliver of the top one percent, wearing nearly $3 million in platinum and diamonds around his neck and wrist....."

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nothing beats Kenny Anderson and his "$60,000 in hanging around money" during the lockout in the late 90's(?)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just got my ESPN The Fight Issue. Can we assume that ESPN will now be
    showing a lot of boxing. I don't recall ever seeing any boxing articles previously.

9. JackReacher

Except the million or so dollars Mayweather has on him at all times. Well, one of his bodyguards carries it around for him in a duffel bag.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sonner, your OP was too good. It is preventing people from reading the actual story. :)

11. JackReacher

Ha. Apparently so.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That article showed me my ignorance of how hard Mayweather works. He's living a dream life but seems like even in the off-season he's working his tail off; for that I've got to give him credit.

Too bad Pacquiao has declined because that would have been a great fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted