1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once again, there are 4 foreign-born heavyweight champions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Hey, guys are going into that sport, Shot. I mean, look at Johnny "I got demolished" Morton, and ex-wrestler Brock Lesnar. I'm not saying it's as 'legitimate' - we don't even need to get into that argument - but I'm saying that very good athletes who could otherwise go into boxing (or stay in boxing) are going into MMA. Thus, I believe, the talent pool for potential heavyweights diminishes.

No argument here. The bed-head wasn't brining anything to the table.

I had people literally begging me to clean up my place after watching the video. Ha ha. Hey, you gotta take the bad with the good if you're going to put something like that up. I've never subscribed to the "Bill Simmons School of Reaction to Criticism;" people are going to take their shots at you. Hey, if they have legitimate criticisms, listen to them. My shorts could look better, as could my hair. That's cool. That doesn't mean I have to listen to it, but I don't have to say that those offering critiques are 'idiots' or 'unjustly negative,' etc. That's weak. "Oh, you don't know, you don't write a column..." Give me a break.

All of us have gotten ripped for things we've written, or taken shots on the radio or other media. Roll with it, learn from it, whatever. But don't play the 'you don't know' card. That's the BS that Roger Clemens tried to pull the other day on the writers . Lame.

2. Don't know if I agreed with your comments or not. I watched with the sound off, which was perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen.

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Wow, that's frightening. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :)

I was ok. But I got the pick totally wrong and missed some spots. Basically, you didn't miss much but a test-run of Grizzly Adams in pulled-up blue shorts missing a couple of boxing-to-MMA analogies. Ha ha.

4. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Here's a sample of one comment that didn't make the cut, to give you an example of some of what I was getting:

1. You're a dic*head.

2. Chuck (one of the fighters discussed in the prediction video) was not champ when
    he fought Rampage (the other fighter discussed in the video) the first time. [This is
    correct, I blew the spot].

3. You need to lose about 25 pounds, start working out and lose the shorts.

That was actually a lot less bad than some of the other not-ready-for-prime-time comments. But can I say the guy's "an idiot," just because he might not have a video or other 'creative venture' with which I could nitpick?

No, I don't think so. Point #2 was correct, point #3 is something which everyone who appears on a video medium is going to hear, either positively or negatively. Point #1 isn't really germane, but so what? I guess I could say that makes him an idiot, but it really doesn't, IMO. He might be a jerk, but he made a good point with #2.

There is almost always something to be gleaned from a person's criticism of you. Sometimes you just have to look for it. The only reason I didn't post the guy's comment was I was trying to cut down on the profanity a little bit. There are plenty of people taking shots at me, the shorts, etc. still up, they just swore less. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted