1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once again, network anchor chairs all filled by white males

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 25, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Diane Sawyer stepping down from ABC World News Tonight, to be replaced by weekend anchor, David Muir:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/06/sawyer-stephanopoulos-and-muir-take-on-new-roles-leading-abc-news-programming/

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/chris-russo-just-hasnt-found-a-black-host-worthy-of-m-1571250450

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In defense of NBC, Lester Holt and Savannah Guthrie have been used on Nightly News when Brian is on vacation or assignment, and Ann Curry has also filled in from time to time. I can't speak for the other networks.

Doesn't sound like Diane was fired from the anchor chair...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The identity of network nightly news anchors is about as relevant to modern life as the location of the nearest blacksmith.

5. YankeeFan

Could say the same thing about the nickname of the NFL franchise in Washington D.C.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You could, but it'd be a weird and dumb thing to say, so I'm not sure why you would.

7. YankeeFan

Gee seems to be saying that the lack of diversity in the network anchor chair doesn't matter because of the diminished nature of the job's relevance.

I'm not sure why that matters.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The identity of three people may reflect the bias of media executives, but it is not the deliberate use of a slur aimed at an ethnic group. Get real, YF. You often have better arguments than that.

9. YankeeFan

Thanks?

I wasn't in Baron territory, was I?

Just saying, relevance shouldn't determine what's important. For diversity to be widespread, it has to be enacted everywhere. Otherwise, you don't have a pool of suitable candidates for the big jobs when they become available.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, let's see, it wasn't so long ago, Katie Couric was at CBS and Sawyer at ABC. These things, like coaches, seem to go in cycles.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, relevance shouldn't determine what's important. Hence, it's important to close schools that aren't performing well. It's irrelevant on where the kids end up.

12. JackS

JackS Member

I can't remember the last time it was Savannah Guthrie. If she did it, I don't think it was ever part of the regular rotation. After Williams and Holt, the #3 is Kate Snow. And once in a blue moon, Curry does take the chair. Of course, your point still holds, but I just can't remember Guthrie.

Draft saved Draft deleted