1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On why everyone should be a sportswriter for a little while...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLIrish, Apr 23, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

A e-mail passed along from David von Drehle, posted recently on a good writing blog.

http://gangrey.com/898

As a sportswriter-turned-newsie, I'd say he makes some very good points.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've done both news writing and sports writing. no contest. sports writing is more challenging. :eek:

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: No. 5...my boss cares very much. I don't want to work for someone who doesn't.

4. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Girl--I get your point, but it's almost worse when you have a boss who cares too much about sports. I've worked for publishers who think that, because they know a little bit about sports, start making crazy suggestions about how to cover things ... when, in truth, they should be spending time with other things.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But he/she is the boss for a reason. And I know I'd damn well better listen, even if I think the idea is crazy.

I'm not going to win that argument.

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Good point ... I always made sure I was smiling politely when we had one of our meetings about "the direction" of the sports section.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I think I used for work for your boss. Been there, been done like that.

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I've seen some newsies try to come over to sports later on, and it wasn't pretty.

I can't speak for everyone out there, but a lot for some reason, all of the newsies I've worked with always seems to look down on us sports writers, but when the reality is that any of us can do their jobs, but the reverse is not true.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I sent this out to some of our writers, one of whom sent it to our executive editor.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

We're getting a news summer intern from Local U. I'm making her cover a few sporting events because I think it's important to her journalism education. And I'll be making copies of this list.

11. jaredk

jaredk Member

With all that going for it, why do it "a little while"? What's wrong with forever?

Draft saved Draft deleted