1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

on today's AP Sports Digest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's a never ending discussion. People hiring have to be constantly mindful of it, but it's still not as simple as going out and simply diversifying your staff. The candidate pool is a big part of it -- your ability to exceed or match the current salaries of qualified candidates is a big part of it, and there's a lot more.

It's not a track record to be proud of, but it's not as easily fixable as just snapping your fingers.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I remember at last year's APSE convention, they toyed with the idea of a Diversity committee. what happend with that?
    However, I think right now, who the fuck cares. We're all getting fired at an alarming rate.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Nevermind that our industry is dying. We need to worry about diversity, damn it.

Give me an f'in break.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is anybody actually running that story by AP? Do any of our readers give a shit about that study?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I swear the people who run these surveys wouldn't shed a tear if a 200-person newsroom with 40 minorities was downsized to 100 with 30 minorities -- that's a diversity percentage increase! All is well!

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

No ... and no.

7. Next up on the AP budget: School districts across the country receive failing grades because more than 80 percent of elementary teachers are women.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Just trying to play some devil's advocate here, but maybe if newspapers cared more about diversity 15 years ago, they wouldn't be so far in the shitter now.
    just a thought.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a thought, but I can't connect gender and color of employees with the rising tide toward the 'Net, classified ad revenue falling through the floor and the apparent proliferation of the "on the go" reader who doesn't have time for newspapers anymore.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Would it be entirely inappropriate to "blame" women and minorities for not seeking out sports journalism? We do live of our own accord and choose what we want to do in life. Our professions, generally speaking, don't choose us.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

It can't be connected because it was never tried.
    However, take a look at the election. Clinton grabbed a lot of women votes. Obama grabbed a lot of minority votes. And McCain snagged a bunch of old white men votes.
    People tend to cling toward others like them. Thus, they would want to read opinions from people that look like them. And when they don't see that, they go somewhere else.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i think women and minorities should be doing some of the networking associated with an APSE type of convention instead of just going to a NABJ, NAHJ or whatever other minority convention group. they can't have it both ways. can't complain about diversity and not do anything to make the field diverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted