1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On this day in 1957, the most important meeting in the history of music occurred

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 6, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Also on this date, Althea Gibson became the first black tennis player to win a Wimbledon singles title when she defeated fellow American Darlene Hard, 6-3, 6-2.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I might not like everything the Beatles or Elvis did. But there's not a Buddy Holly track that ever gets old to me.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Josie James, Melody Jones and Valerie Smith decide to form a band.
    The 'long tails and ears for hats' will come later.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always been more of a Stones than Beatles guy (the wife is the opposite), but I love the Fab Four's early records because they showed what a terrific rock and roll band the Beatles were. In Lennon and McCartney they not only had two of the greatest songwriters but two of the greatest vocalists.

My problem with Sgt. Pepper's is there isn't whole lot of rock and roll on there. Sure you have the title song and its reprise and maybe "With A Little Help From My Friends" ("A Day In The Life" is a remarkable song regardless of genre), but you also have crap like "Within You Without You", "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite", dated psychedelia like "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and "Lovely Rita" and "When I'm Sixty Four" which sound like shit that would have been on those Max Bygraves albums my old man used to play all the time.

Cool album cover, though.

5. Re: On this day in 1957, the most important meeting in the history of music occu

I just wanted to point out that Buddy Holly was a total bad-ass in his own right, and could have been hugely influential. He was writing, performing and producing his own stuff at a time when "acts" were just faces.

And it was pretty cool, forward-thinking stuff. I love Buddy Holly.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

And if Robert Johnson never picks up a guitar Elvis never walks into Sun Records. You could play that game all day.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Christopher Columbus doesn't land at Plymouth Rock ...

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: On this day in 1957, the most important meeting in the history of music occu

Forget it, he's rolling.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Great answer, football.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Democracy is still great.

Bought-and-paid-for congressmen . . . not so great.

11. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Excellent point.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If Elvis hadn't heard black music, they don't either. It could go on and on, like IU 90 said. Elvis kicked open the door yes, but McCartney's hero was always Buddy Holly. He bought his catalog.

Lennon McCartney is/was/always will be the most important meeting in rock. For better or worse, depending on your opinion of the Beatles, they changed the music in every way, shape and form. Sure they had the were influenced by their contemporaries, but no one did it better. Dylan had the lyrcs, but not musical influence. The Stones were just dirty blues players.

The Who had their own sound, but it wasn't as varied as the Beatles. No one was as varied muscially as the Beatles. For the record, I've never been an Elvis fan. Appreciate his contributions, but never had the substance and was made a clown by Tom Parker.

So yes, July 6, 1957 was the most important meeting in music history.

Draft saved Draft deleted