1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On this day in 1957, the most important meeting in the history of music occurred

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 6, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Me too.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't know. Rock, block, .....

Boots might be onto something....

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great on the piano, sucked on the organ.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Only if some people continue to weaken it.

And I stand corrected on the movie thing: It was a Hard Day's Night, followed by Help

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Also agree with previous poster about the first concept album, Sgt. Pepper.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: On this day in 1957, the most important meeting in the history of music occu

Well, technically, Give Peace a Chance was recorded June 1, 1969, in a Montreal hotel room. Not "the 70s" just yet. Carry on. :)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sgt. Pepper was not the first concept album, Pet Sounds was.
    Both Lennon and McCartney have said Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pet Sounds wasn't mentioned in the RS article about the making of Sgt. Pepper.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

McCartney quoted in the Wikipedia entry on Pet Sounds:

It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

McCartney, Lennon and George Martin have cited it.

Martin once was quoted as saying "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper would never have happened. Pepper was an atrempt to equal Pet Sounds."

And Huggy beat me to the McCartney quote.

11. boots

boots New Member

Was Yellow Submarine after Help?

12. boots

boots New Member

More like pink or bright red-font material.
    Incidentally, not many people know this but Liberace loved football. His favorite positions were tight end and wide receiver. He just wanted to catch the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted