1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On this date in Ohio State football history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 29, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In their defense, they might not have seen it. You finish calling the play, and then all of a sudden, you see a fight. Replay technology was fairly primitive in 1978 and if you notice, on the one replay of the play they showed, the play stopped right before Woody's punch, which probably means nobody in the truck saw it, either. The number of cameras used was also fairly miniscule compared to what are used today.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wonder what Charlie Bauman is doing these days.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember the broadcast very well. While they didn't have the angles that they have today, everyone in our news room saw what happened and identified Woody as the guy who was doing the swinging.
    You're right the technology was primitive by today's standards but after listening to the rebroadcast, someone in the booth goofed.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Someone goofed, but I've broadcast a little bit of football and the field is so big and there are so many players that things are easy to miss -- especially if you're not watching the monitor (which, to be honest, I only do when a replay is coming). Especially change-of-possession plays, you're trying to make sure you call it right, identify the guy who made the pick right, and then suddenly you look up and see a huge fight ...

What I can't believe is that nobody in the truck saw the punch. It was pretty glaringly obvious from watching the clip. However, it's likely that the guys in the truck were immediately shifting into "big play, let's cue up a replay" moment and spliced the tape before the punch was thrown.

It is understandable that Jackson didn't see it. I'm surprised nobody else did, either.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

No question about Jackson not seeing the punch. That was the old Gator Bowl which had awful sightlines and even worse for someone calling the game.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Still, the guys in the truck should have seen it and told Jackson immediately. Woody stood out on the sidelines. You couldn't miss him - a silver-haired guy with old-time glasses who threw a left-handed punch.

I later read that Bo cried in his staff meeting the next morning. He said something like "They fired the old man."

7. the fop

the fop Member

I think Bauman is in business, maybe real estate, in one of the northern Cincinnati suburbs. Geoff Hobson did a piece on him for the Enquirer on the 20th anniversary, IIRC.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looked like pretty poor stadium lighting and a lot of fog too.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anybody have any idea what the hell Hayes was thinking? Maybe Bauman said something?

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That was a pretty good tackle by Schlichter to end the play

11. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I was on the ACC writers tour the next fall. When we got to Clemson, he was one of the players they trotted out for us. Everybody wanted to ask him about the incident, but he wouldn't talk about it.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Woody was definitely thinking about retirement.

Draft saved Draft deleted