1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the verge of Canadian tennis history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Raonic just served at 150 mph. Holds serve. tied 5-5 in the third set. Raonic has held off at least three championship points for Roddick.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Another game for Milosz!!!!!!

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Except he doesn't have Seinfeld dogging it on the other end. Roddick holds serve again. 6-5 Roddick.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

ROddick wins on about the most impressive championship point that you will ever see. Just crazy.

A desperation dive for the winner down the line. picked the ball from about 3 inches off the court. Unbelievable. Check your favourite highlight show tonight.

Roddick Wins 7-6, 6-7, 7-5.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Raonic will jump into the top 40 after this. Before the Aussie Open he was 157th in the world.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

That's great stuff, Beef. Thanks.

I will definitely check out the highlights later. I hate that Roddick is the face of U.S. men's tennis, but Blake just isn't getting there from a performance standpoint.

Now, to be clear, these serve speeds were in mph, not kph, right? Just checking.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

No problem Holy Bull. Yes those were miles per hour -- not sure what the final tally was but he had a ton of aces. Led San Jose last week in aces. Raonic actually knocked off Blake in San Jose I think.

Roddick was actually very complimentary of Raonic in the post match ceremonies. Not that I thought he would be an ass after winning, but he was a little more gracious than I thought he would be.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Roddick can actually be genuinely great, when he wants to be, but he's inconsistent. There just always seems to be this undercurrent of pissed-off petulant sneering superiority with that guy.

A Raonic victoire would have been comparable to the Blue Jays winning the World Series? :D

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't think it would have been Blue Jays winning the world series big, but for the tennis world here in Canada I would put it on the same level as the jays making the playoffs for the first time. It gave them that legitimacy in MLB. This would have been a similar kind of deAl in giving Raonic that legitimacy. He still has to prove he can be more than a flavor of the month

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are about eight Americans between Roddick and Blake, who's at No. 144 and would be dropping even faster if not for the wild cards he'll get into just about any tournament held in the U.S. At least that gives him a chance to win a match or two instead of having to play qualifiers and then win another match or two.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Thanks for the update. Sad state of affairs, if you ask me. I follow tennis to some degree, but if you're quizzing me on who the seven or eight are between Roddick and Blake are, I'm guessing Mardy Fish and Lisner, the 6-foot-10 kid who had the marathon at Wimbledon. After that, I got nothin'.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You beat me. Fish was the only name I came up with off the top of my head, also lost to Raonic in Memphis I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted