1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the spaghetti trail....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 22, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Celery, onions and carrots are a standard base for sauces, stocks and stews known as a mirepois

I'm not Italian so I'm allowed. :)

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

JR:
    Spaceman's on it. I could see that scene a hundred times and still feel as though I'm inhaling the aroma of a simmering sauce while my mouth waters in anticipation.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

After years wandering in the wilderness of tomato-based sauces, I have finally reached the Promised Land of cream sauces. Damn the cholestrol, add more butter, cream and Parmesean.

What's not to like?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I grew up in a neighborhood that was mostly Italian-American. I used show up my friends' doors when I knew they were about to sit down to dinner.
    My friend Gene's grandmother used to make the most outrageous gnocchi.
    My friend Cyrice's mom used put some of her homemade sauce in a zip-lock and give it to me to take home.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm third gen Italian-American, so I know a little about sauce.
    My brother made some once with carrots in it, so it is allowed.
    But personally, not my cup of tea. I'm not into crunchy sauce, I like it smooth, watery, more of a compliment to the pasta, then overwhelming it.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

From Mario Batali, and he knows a little something:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 Spanish onion, 1/4-inch dice
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
    1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
    2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
    Salt
    Spaghetti, cooked al dente
    Whole basil leaves, for garnish
    Grated Parmesan, (optional)
    In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot, and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
    When ready to use, the cooked pasta should be added to a saucepan with the appropriate
    amount of sauce. Garnish with basil leaves and cheese, if using.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Amazing. No peppers in Batali's recipe, either. I have never made it without green peppers and sometimes red, too.

I have never used carrot or celery in the sauce. However, I have at times dumped in some chicken or beef stock, which obviously had carrots and celery flavoring the stock, to add gelatinous body. Or sometimes I buy beef soup bones, the big ones with a lot of marrow, roast them with the pork bones and dump into the sauce.

I've also never not used oregano. Usually I use dried in the sauce, but if I can find fresh oregano it really makes a difference in meatballs. Fresh oregano is also amazing in salad.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Batali uses the carrots as a sweetener for balance.

Draft saved Draft deleted