1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. You can take your kids into many places on Beale Street during the day. There are plenty of normal restaurants on Beale. It's not all bars. Mostly bars, but not all bars.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have the 16th Street Mall and LoDo with tons of stores and restaurants. There is a free shuttle on the 16th Street Mall as well.

Cheyenne has Little America, which is an OK place to pick up a bite to eat and they have cheap ice cream cones (popular with families).

Salt Lake City has Temple Square where there a couple of visitor centers and the Church History Museum. Light rail is free downtown and you can take it down to The Gateway, an outdoor mall, next to the Jazz arena.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for Long Island? Will be in Islandia for two nights. Anything worthwhile on the seafood or Italian front? I'm assuming yes on both.

4. azom

azom Member

The same but different... I'm permanently on the road to Fargo right around New Year's, with a get-to-know-the-town trip in about a week and a half. Restaurants? Cool places to knock back a beer? Places to avoid living?

5. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Going to Fairbanks this weekend. Suggestions on things to do and see?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Third this. The place is precious, but its grand reputation is well-deserved.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

About to be on St. Louis for a week, and likely won't have a car. Does anyone actually use the bus system without fearing for their lives? Bear in mind I'm deep in the western suburbs.

8. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

Going to Baton Rouge for the LSU v UW game...where's the best food joint that's a local/state one no chains.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Heading to Seattle the day after Thanksgiving to cover the CSU vs. Washington basketball game. I've been to Seattle once with the family when I was 16, but that's it. Visited the market and Space Needle and the touristy stuff. Any suggestions on local eats? Staying Friday and Saturday night.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on a good and reasonably priced hotel in Vancouver?

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I had a great time at the Urban Hideaway Guesthouse two summers ago. It's hostel-ish, with private rooms but shared bathrooms (except, I think, for one room up in the attic) and there's a communal kitchen. When I was there, I was the only American or Canadian; everyone else was from Australia, Germany, etc., a lot of people either coming from or heading to Alaskan cruises. The location was good, a little noisy (open windows due to the heat!) and walkable to most things and public transit.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Park Inn, 898 W. Broadway, last summer: Visit hotel site

Within walking distance of Granville Island, and a few blocks from a subway station that will take you anywhere downtown. Breakfast wasn't included, but there's a restaurant on the first floor and — more importantly — tons of options on Broadway itself.

Relatively affordable, clean and the front-desk staff were helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted