1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. CCaple

CCaple Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll look into some of those joints.

No Marriott for me, though. Booked a room in the Millennium Biltmore downtown. It looks like a decent place, and it fit in our budget thanks to a pretty good deal I found on Orbitz.

Anyone happen to know the best place near Staples? Never been there before.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Loved staying in Marina del Rey. First stayed at the Marriott, then eventually closer to the water at the Doubletree and then the Ritz Carlton. If I remember correctly, the marina there is where they shot the film of the S.S. Minnow heading out for a three-hour tour, a three-hour tour.

I wish I could remember the name of the fantastic diner I used to eat at, but it's been a long time. If this helps, it's between the Doubletree and the Ritz on the Ritz side of the road. And it's a nice short walk to Venice Beach. Also, it's been such a long time (early 90s) that the Doubletree may not be a Doubletree any more. I do remember that it's on Admiralty Way.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If anyone's coming to Trenton for the NCAA Women's Regional and needs advice on the area, let me know.

4. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Anyone know of anything fun to do in the Palm Beach area?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ask David Justice where to find the hookers.

6. Mark

Mark Member

My parents, older brother and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in late June/early July, but we'll be in VANCOUVER for 3 1/2 days starting July 4.
    (Celebrating America's independence day up in America Jr.)

We'll probably stay at a Marriott downtown near the cruise terminals. No rental car.

Places to eat and see??

Thanks everyone.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Will be headed to Cincinnati for the weekend of the 4th. Have Friday night Reds tickets already, otherwise no firm plans. Other than eat 5-way, what shpuld I do with myself, my 50-something parents and my 6-year-old?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked Yaletown when I went... kinda cool bars and wings/eats spots...
    Just walking around Vancouver downtown was cool for me. There's a wood/cabin type bar on a downtown marina that was cool, but can't remember the name. Came out of the men's room and ran right into Marc Crawford... all I could do not to tell him Claude Lemieux sucks.

9. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Anyone headed to the THSCA All-Star Game in Austin tonight?

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

From Atlanta to Denver. Thinking stops in STL, NASH and possibly KC.

KC is easy (Arthur Bryant's, right?)
    In STL, there's some sort of Italian district, right? What's the best place there for pizza and beer on the (relative) cheap.
    Nashville... Honky Tonk district area, no? I don't know of anything that is local to that area, but any suggestions will be much-appreciated. Would prefer something with food, booze and tunes.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gene:

Do a search on this thread, because St. Louis has been mentioned before. The Hill is the Italian district you're thinking of; home to Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola, et al. ... Tony's has been highly recommended here, as has the pricier Bastante's and Amighetti's. Failing those, try Imo's or Elicia's for pizza.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As for Nashville, just go downtown to Broadway (plenty of signs off the interstate). You'll find what you're looking for.

Draft saved Draft deleted