1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I don't think Heavenly Beds are new. They are incredible.

You too can own one for the small fee of around $2,500, depending on the size.

http://www.westin-hotelsathome.com/HeavenlyBed/bed.html#

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

stayed at the westin in indy a month or so ago and by god, i love me some westin. the heavenly bed, the heavenly robe and contrary to another opinion, i love the 'heavenly shower.' god damn, westin kicks ass.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

When in Pocatello, Idaho make sure you stop in Utah to eat. :D

Actually, there are a few decent out of the way joints to eat at. There's also hokie's favorite place, Applebees.

In about six months I'll be living in either Salt Lake City of Boise, so I'll have suggestions for those cities a little later. But one place in Boise that I love is Gino's in downtown.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you use Hotwire.com to reserve hotels in downtown Cleveland, odds are you are going to have something within 5-7 minutes walking distance of the Jake and Gund Arena, and 10 minutes to Cleveland Browns stadium for $50 a night.

5. Ringside: One of North America's top steak joints.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

salt lake city of boise? is that like the los angeles angels of anaheim? ;D

when in the twin cities, hit shorty & wag's chicken & ribs. takeout only. lock your car door. unbelievable seasoned jo-jo potatoes, red beans & rice and the best ribs in town (which i realize isn't saying much if you're a southerner, but it's all they've got in minny). great fried chicken, too.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

:-[

Does it count that R and F are near each other on the keyboard?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Real Salt Lake City of Boise.
    That's some rudeness.

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

For those with questions about New Orleans. Here are some answers:

Camellia Grill is on Carrollton just as the river bends.

Jacque Imo's is on Oak Street. It's two blocks down from The Maple Leaf Bar where on Tuesday nights (every Tuesday night), Rebirth Brass Band plays and I'm telling you, it's a good time. Great time. Oak Street can be found just off Carrollton near St. Charles.

Domilise's in Uptown has, to me, the best po-boys in NOLA. It can be found on Bellecastle and Annunciacion, one block up off of Tchoupitoulas. This sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, but believe me, it's quite tasty. Get a half and half (oyster/shrimp) with american cheese. Top that with roast beef gravy and you're in heaven. Add a Barq's root beer or Abita Amber and it's orgasmic.

Mandino's off of Canal in Mid-city is also a fantastic place for a po-boy. It's cross street is Cortez and is just really good.

Acme Oyster on D'Iberville in the French Quarter is really good.

Mother's can be found on Poydras and Tchoupitoulas.

Also try Franky & Johnny's. It's on Tchoup. and Arabella. Great food. Or Parasol's off of First Ave. in uptown is excellent and well-known for its roast beef po-boy.

I've said enough. Any other questions, PM me.

The Governor has spoken.

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

if my memory is intact, fuertej and i have agreed on this before. go to the maple leaf if you dig music. it's a little out of the way from the french quarter if i remember correctly, but take a cab and go anyway. go to the original tipitinas if you care about music. professor longhair rules.

whoever said it earlier, the central grocery is the place to go for a muffaletta sammy.

along the lines of when in new orleans, go to cafe du monde for cafe au lait and beignets. try it once.

i second acme oyster for po-boys, oysters on the half shell and dixie blackened voodoo ale.

i know it's trendy but check out one of emeril's joints - nola is a fine choice. any of the brennan's restaurants will work, too. try the redfish with lump crabmeat. and throw down a bananas foster for good measure.

listen to fuertej first.

and for the folks pumping the westin beds, right on. quality stuff.

hokie, i've been to typoon in portland, and enjoyed the green curry with shrimp.

go to a steakhouse in st. louis. mike shannon's place is OK. and dierdorf and hart's is worth it. they make a mean garlic and horseradish mashed potato. also, search out for a ted drewes for frozen custard.

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I'm honored to be in the first post on this thread.

I'm going to suggest when in PHILADELPHIA (I'm capitalizing and bolding so the city will be easy to find for anyone scanning) taking a ride to Downington (20 minutes outside) for the Victory Brew Pub. Fantastic beer and very good reasonable food.

Definitely grab a cheesesteak at Pats and Genos as was suggested by someone on the other thread. There's a Geno's in Citizens Bank Ballpark.

Chickie and Pete's is a pretty good sports bar near the vet.

I'm heading to WASHINGTON D.C. late next week. I've been to all the well known memorials and Smithsonians. Any out of the known spots? The Spy Musuem?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

JTP ... They just opened up the Native American museum in D.C. on the east side of the Smithsonian this year. It's off of Constitution Avenue, or somewhere close to it, I think. I was going to go when I was in D.C. last week, but the line was way long and it was way cold. I've heard great things about the Spy Museum. I've heard it costs money to get in.

Of course, if you have a car, all the Civil War battlefields are just a short trip down I-95. Well, at least it used to be a short trip. The congestion around there is just mindblowing now.

Draft saved Draft deleted