1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the road

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm in Long Beach, my hometown, in a hotel on Ocean Boulevard. Kind of surreal.

To @I Should Coco, the road trip is now 3,200 miles. Going to see my dad and play in LA for a few days then head down to the bowels of Cali for good.

I Should Coco, Mngwa and dixiehack like this.
  2. Songbird

Immigration checkpoint about 75 miles east of San Diego on I-8.

The guard in my line asked "What is your country of origin?"

The question threw me off for a half-second -- country of origin? -- and I said "America" ...

... which is the first time I've ever said I was from America because as noted here not long ago, I always says I'm from "the United States".

Meanwhile, one of the other guards brought out the biggest fucking drug-sniffing German shepherd I've ever thing. Not for my car.

20210503_120510 copy.jpg

MileHigh and ChrisLong like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You're moving back?

4. Songbird

If all goes according to plan.

Slacker likes this.
  5. Songbird

I'm not taking the job. I have zero desire to be in newspapers again. I can't take a job where I won't give them my heart and soul.

I've spent the last 4 days in Long Beach and Beverly Hills, spending quality time with my dad (age 80) and older brother. It was oddly satisfying.

These 4 days made it crystal clear: Long Beach is where I want to be. After 30 years on the road it's time to be home again. Long Beach is home.

As of this moment I'm homeless and don't have a job ... 4 months away from turning 50 and I am starting over. It's terrifying but liberating.

The plan is to rent a room in Belmont Shore, maybe on Ocean Avenue. I'll find a job in short order. Don't care what the job is but I'll get one soon.

I'm trying to keep it together emotionally and spiritually. It's difficult and it's terrifying. But I'm home again.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good luck. I always thought I'd return to the 716 or the 804, but it never happened. Partly because I love where I live, partly because of building a good life in the 541 and responsible to others too, but mostly because about 15-20 years ago I was just too chicken to take a big leap like you have .

Congrats. Keep us in the loop.

Songbird likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tempted to do the same thing, Songbird. Trying something different and not having much luck. Impossible to know how much of this is the pandemic.

But might just go back and figure out what is next. Goodness knows the last 14 months have been a complete loss.

Keep us posted.

Songbird likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

@Songbird I don’t always get along with you on here but I have a ton of respect for someone unafraid to go after their dream. You’ll find a way.

Songbird likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the best day to chase your dreams. Today is the second-best. Tomorrow is the worst.

It’s a great time to be looking for a new life in California because the economy is humming and a huge influx of relief money and infrastructure money is on the way. Good luck @Songbird; you’ll do fine.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Were you offered a newspaper job that gave you a chance to come home? You came home, checked it out and decided not to take it? What newspaper? SCNG? Well, welcome home.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And what about the gallery job? Thought you liked it there in Vermont.

But good luck, of course. Always nice to get back home.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Any newspaper job in 2021 has to be regarded as a temp gig, no matter what they promise.

Draft saved Draft deleted