1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the road

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 26, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Having lived in the I.E. for 30 years, this is probably mine, whether crossing in Redlands, San Bernardino, Norco, the 91.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

What a faschinating question.

I first thought of the Banana and Indian Rivers, but they're not technically rivers. But I've been traveling back and forth on the Eau Gallie or Melbourne Causeways since I was 2.

Until we moved to the cabin here in Georgia, I would have agreed on the Sacramento River (via the Benicia Bridge), and the last time two years ago, was saddened to see there were less than a dozen ships left in the Mothball Fleet. In 1972, there were still hundreds, and the toll was either 25 or 35 cents.

But the answer has to be the Chattahoochee. It's just knee-deep here next to the neighborhood. You can actually wade across it if you care to. (Or stick your butt in an inner tube.) Because it twists and turns so much between here and Helen (or Cornelia), I cross it almost every time I leave the house. Over the past 14 years, that's a lot of river crossings.

Alan Jackson would be pleased.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Connecticut and Scantic, now working on the Waccamaw.

(not a riverboat captain, just mean I pass over it now)

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Does the Santa Ana River have to have water in it to be considered a river?

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I have never lived anywhere where I had to cross a river regularly to go to school or work. There are various forks of the Trinity River that drain the Metroplex, so that's probably it.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Only if you go way down yonder.

Batman and maumann like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In the Toronto area, probably the Humber River anytime I have headed downtown.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

My last two newspaper jobs were in cities on the Tennessee River, so I'm guessing that would be my No. 1.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Grew up along the Delaware and have lived along the banks of the Mississippi (in various spots) for most of the past 25 years, but didn't actually cross them that often.
    So the answer -- not counting the drainage ditch that runs under our driveway, is probably the Pearl. Cross that one at least twice a day, sometimes in multiple spots.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Charles River. You can take a 20 mile drive and cross over it 10 times.

maumann likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Spent the night in Huntsville Alabama.

Bought toothpaste, mouthwash, and a box of 5 Hour Energy at Walmart in Iuka Miss where Bryan Adams was alive and well.

Had Zaxby's (first time ever) for lunch in Corinth Miss then worked it off with an hour of cardio at Planet Fitness.

Made the mistake of going north into Tennessee and taking 57 west ... got a ticket in Moscow.

Sleeping tonight in Collierville.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Miss the days of dancing on tables with spurs.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted