1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the road question/survey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diddly Poo, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

How automatic is it when you have two people - same sex - on the same road trip that they share a room? And how automatic - and short-thinking, most of the time - is it automatic that you find other hotel rooms other than at the media hotel? Has it changed drastically in the last year or five?

Throw in your region, general circulation, and chain. Seems like it's fairly inconsistent even though all papers are flush with buckageness. And some even within chains at similar sized papers it seem inconsistent.

2. extremely rare on my pro beat. not sure if I've ever heard of that one

common, if "media hotel" or team hotel isn't a Marriott

3. JME

JME Member

I had a traveling beat where I had to travel and room with the photogs every time. As we all know, photogs are always well-adjusted, affable and hygene-obsessed folk, so it was nothing but enjoyable.

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Whenever multiple people here travel together, everyone gets their own room

5. JME

JME Member

It seems like that's generally the standard. I wish it was that way everywhere.

One of the photogs I had to travel with was cool. He'd offer to drive, had a pretty nice car, was a normal, if reserved, guy.

The others were pretty, um, quirky. Luckily, when I traveled with the strange female photog, we'd have seperate rooms. But we still had to drive/fly/share rentals together, which was also a pain in terms of her filing her photos in five minutes after a game and hovering over my shoulder the entire time I was writing my stories.

It was an experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

At our place, everyone gets a separate room, and everyone makes damn sure it's at a Marriott.

Draft saved Draft deleted