1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the road: Lincoln/Rapid City, Missoula, Seattle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 30, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, folks. It's time to take another one of those Army trips. Well, not that kind, but I'll be on the roa, errr, in the air for a few days, and am looking for a couple of low-key things to do, places to eat/drink and places to avoid.

Myself and a couple of other guys are loading up in a helicopter early in the morning at Campbell Army Airfield (Kentucky), bound for Gray Army Airfield at Ft. Lewis, Wa. It'll take us about three days to get there, and we'll have a day once we get there.

Weather and maintenance dependent, here's what the schedule looks like:

Day 1: Ft. Campbell, Kentucky, to either Lincoln or Rapid City -- depending on how we feel and how the day goes. Rapid City will be a stretch, but we might be able to make it there by tomorrow night. If we only get to Lincoln, we'll have a few hours to grab a good bite to eat and hit the bar for a drink, or two. If we make it to Rapid City, it'll pretty much be dark and we'll want to eat and sleep.

Day 2: Day 1 destination to Missoula. I've already bounced this one off Sportschick, but am looking for a good way to kill five or six hours, here. We're stopping in Missoula earlier in the day than we would normally stop (early afternoon) so we can cross the Rockies -- which is a big deal in a helicopter with no supplemental oxygen -- early in the morning when we're freshest.

Day 3: Missoula to Ft. Lewis (Tacoma-Olympia). We'll probably have about a half day here, too. We might hit up a Mariners game, but we haven't decided.

What say the SJ crowd?

Thanks,

t_b_f

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's all gonna be pretty much low key, whether you like it or not, until you reach Seattle.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Well, I will note that I heard a guy piss for more than 40 seconds at the Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln way back when. Damnedest thing I ever heard.

Great food at that restaurant, but that was 20 years ago or more.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mrs. TigerVols is from Missoula...

If you like tomato soup even just a little, you MUST MUST MUST go to 4Bs, a greasy spoon diner that has what is considered by all who have ever tasted it the world's finest tomato soup. I'm not exaggerating.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/four-bs-restaurants-missoula#query:Tomato%20Soup

The Depot Bar is the place to go to meet the locals, if you know what I mean.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/depot-bar-and-restaurant-missoula#query:steaks

But the best meal in town (ONLY AFTER YOU'VE HAD 4B's TOMATO SOUP!) is at River City Grill...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/river-city-grill-missoula#query:steaks

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In Rapid City, the Firehouse Brewpub downtown is pretty nice. Lots of hotels off I-90.

6. three_bags_full

Stuck in Missoula. We got weathered in and couldn't fly on to Seattle. We should be able to leave tomorrow.

All I can think of is the Hank Williams, Jr., song, "Dixie on my Mind" ... "I'm busted here and got Dixie on my mind."

Missoula's great, but it ain't the South ... and my family ain't here.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How's the tomato soup?

8. three_bags_full

I'm sorry to say 4Bs closed a while back. I did get a great bison burger at the James Bar, however.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

A trip to the Museum of Flight in Seattle is cool, can also sit on the patio there and have some beers while watching planes take off from Boeing Field, saw the 787 there a couple weeks ago.

I don't know if you roto heads are fans of fixed wings though :)

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Judging by the starlit sky as I type this, looks like you'll have clear flying weather tomorrow, three_bags.

Have a safe trip and a good time in Seattle. Safeco Field is highly recommended; the Mariners are even playing well! Day games vs. Tampa this weekend.

I'll keep an eye on the skies for your copter as it crosses the Idaho panhandle. :)

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn.

Thank God for the Internets, tho!

http://www.food.com/recipe/4bs-old-fashioned-cream-of-tomato-soup-153800

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is Stockmen's still open in Missoula? The Rhino?

Did you go to the Oxford for some brains and eggs?

Draft saved Draft deleted