1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the Democratic side for '08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 22, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

since I listed all the Repubs in one thread, might as well do the same for the Dems.., per Wikipedia
    Official candidates who have filed with the FEC for the Democratic Party:

* Senator Christopher Dodd of Connecticut
    * Former Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
    * Former Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska
    * Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio
    * Former Governor Tom Vilsack of Iowa

Candidates who have formed exploratory committees:

* Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
    * Senator Barack Obama of Illinois
    * Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York
    * Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico

Candidates who have expressed serious interest:

* Retired General Wesley Clark of Arkansas
    * Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
    * Reverend Al Sharpton of New York

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. as of today i literally have no clue who i'd vote for. i'd probably lean toward richardson, clinton or obama, but after the gore and kerry disasters, i'm all about elect-ability, so i'll wait a while before deciding. oh, and i guess i care about the issues, too...

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm a Mike Gravel man.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

really? why?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wes Clark is a Clintonista and will not run against Hillary. He stands to get a Cabinet post in a Hillary administration.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Because I always like supporting obscure candidates for the sheer fun of it. In 1996, I was a Morry Taylor man. Lyndon LaRouche is always a fun choice. Gary Bauer was quite possibly the ugliest candidate ever, which only made him more appealing to me.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wasn't he the best man at Fred Flintstone's wedding?

8. Edwards, Kucinich, Obama, Clinton, Clark, Kerry and Sharpton won't win. That leaves Richardson, Biden, Dodd, Gravel, and Vilsack. No way I'm betting on someone who isn't a govenor. I'm betting on Richardson.

BTW, interesting quote from wikipedia about Vilsack: "Vilsack's campaign is making significant use of social media by maintaining an active MySpace profile, a collection of viral video clips on YouTube, a Facebook profile and a videoblog on blip.tv. Vilsack may be the first presidential candidate to take full advantage of social media, just as Howard Dean was the first to take full advantage of blogging, a subset of the larger social media space."

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Richardson will be helped by the fact that he's a mainstream governor and has done a nice job in New Mexico. Some people at least remember him a bit from the Clinton Administration.

Clinton & Obama have the star power. It's going to take a lot to wrest the nomination from one of those two.

Clark -- no way. Edwards built up quite a base last year, but the old, tired class warfare "Return to the Great Society" campaign hasn't worked in 40 years. Kerry left a bad taste in everyone's mouth last time. Sharpton is nuts. Most of the other guys aren't just well-known enough to get it. Being unknown and an outsider worked for Clinton in '92, but that was a race in which all the heavy hitters in the Democratic party pulled out when GHWB had a 91% approval rating after Desert Storm and running looked like a lost cause (and, of course, he got a big assist from Perot in the general election).

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Che Clinton!

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is this a running thread?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Only if it gets updated as candidates go from exploratory committee to officially in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted