1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On second thought . . .maybe Favre wants to HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

For a guy who doesn't feature the words "no comment," he sure did a great job of avoiding the media and saying nothing at all in Green Bay over the last, what, 10 years? One presser a week that seemed to have all the charge of a dead battery?

As for the records and Moss, simple mathematics makes it a pretty legit assertion. The Pack were 8-8 in 2006 and didn't seem to do much to improve the team, yet Favre--a handful of TDs and a couple thousand yards away from the all-time records--came back. The Pack went, what, 13-3 in 2007, came within a bad Favre throw of the Super Bowl and proved that Ted Thompson's build-from-within model works. They are as likely to contend for years as any team in the NFC.

But Favre, the records his and Moss still a Patriot, retired. Because he was tired. Yet a month later, he's telling his best pal Al Jones that you know what, I might not be that tired after all.

attention. whore. diva.

and yes. You come off as a fanboi. The whole loving Favre under the screen name wisportswriter makes it difficult to believe otherwise.

2. How predictable. I said it ahead of time and you still made the accusation. Sort of sad, no?
    I'm a sportswriter in Wisconsin. It's a geographical ID, not a claim of fanhood, though it's fairly clear you're going to believe whatever you wish.
    And because I disagree strongly with your ideas of Favre, I love him? Well argued.

The rest of your post is just as ridiculous. Said nothing at all to the media the last 10 years? What the hell have you based that on? Ask anyone who covered the Packers regularly over Favre's career and get their thoughts on that statement. My bet is before they answer they'll first have to determine whether you're serious.

As for coming back after 8-8 and retiring after 13-3, Favre explained that pretty clearly - at least I thought - in his retirement press conference. Again, you can choose to believe whatever you wish, but I've seen no reason over a 16-year career not to take him at his word.

As for Favre's latest interview with Jones, it's pretty obvious to me it's nothing more than a man thinking out loud about something he probably hasn't thought about since the retirement presser. "Maybe I could," then "I'm happy with my decision," then "Mentally I'd be refreshed," then "It's not just mental" ...

The guy's retired. Not to mention, like I said, he didn't seek someone out to talk about this. Someone sought him, and he gave an honest answer. If that's your definition of an attention whore, so be it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, when you come up with the defense for why you're not a fanboi before I even accuse you of it...

I've read enough here to know that Favre didn't like dealing with the Green Bay media and that it was generaly a mutual feeling. Plus, ANYONE who has those formal weekly press conferences isn't going to say a thing a damn.

Favre didn't leave the door ajar at his retirement press conference. Less than a month later, his agent is floating return rumors and Favre is saying yeah, if the situation was right, I'd return.

He played poker with the Pack and lost. Now he's on tilt and scrambling.

I guess we can agree to disagree, though I look forward to your thoughts when Favre is back in the NFL.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

BYH: For what it's worth, I know wisportswriter and he isn't a fanboi.

There was a huge fanboi in GB but it is common knowledge he no longer is covering the team.

5. I put that caveat in there, BYH, because I knew because of my handle and argument I'd be labeled as such.

"Less than a month later, his agent is floating return rumors and Favre is saying yeah, if the situation was right, I'd return."
    Key words: his agent.
    And he said if the situation was right, maybe he'd return. That's a pretty big maybe, and I'm quite comfortable betting against it on my meager (wi) sportswriter's salary.

Tell you what. We can indeed agree to disagree, and I'll even offer this:
    --If I'm wrong about Favre and the GB media, I'll gladly admit as much. Based on my admittedly limited personal dealings with the GB sports press, I was under the impression it was a healthy working relationship. Like I said, if I'm wrong about that, I'll take the heat for it.
    --And if Favre does come back and play again, I'll get you a beer. Don't bother deciding which ale, though, 'cuz it ain't gonna happen.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

C'mon, WI. How many agents really float stuff out there w/o the consent of their client?

Maybe Gus was talking completely out of his ass with no input from Brett. I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

you may be right re: the press and Favre. But you've got to admit it's odd that he feeds EVERY SINGLE SCOOP to his hometown paper, whether Al Jones is his hunting buddy or not. you'd think, after 17 years, that there'd be someone in Green Bay he'd share the good stuff with, right? And the retirement presser seemed remarkably chilly. He didn't seem to acknowledge anyone in the crowd...no nod, no smile whenever Joe Blow from the Green Bay Press-Gazette would announce himself.

And it'll be a Killians Red, thank you very much. :D

7. There was. It's probably the same gentlemen armageddon referred to.

At least we can agree on beer, apparently. Excellent choice. Here's one anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

BYH and wisportswriter are both right in their way.

Favre's go-to media guy/slurper was Chris Havel, who is gone from the Packers coverage. Havel is well-known around SJ and beyond for his fanboi leanings (among other things), and he wrote at least one autobiographical book about Favre.

Aside from Havel, probably the best description that fits Favre's relationship with the local media is that he tolerated them. Never Eric Bedard-ish, but not particularly close with any of the current guys covering the team. That would explain BYH's perception that the presser was "icy".

I've heard that there were a select few he liked and didn't like, but that's nothing more than rumor. Another rumor is that he tended to like the Fox Valley writers better than the Milwaukee/Madison guys, though it wasn't totally an exclusive thing. If true, that's probably no coincidence given that Milwaukee's coverage skews less fanboyish.

He did have the aforementioned weekly pressers that were rarely worth a shit, but when I was around the team, he was generally forthwith after the games themselves.

I know it was a big deal when he blew the media off after the Packers lost to Atlanta in the 2002 playoffs. I covered that game, but since it was a Saturday night game I had to write and couldn't go to the locker room. By most accounts of those that did, Favre's blowoff was a first, but it didn't turn out to be a last.

Someone who was there longer than me (I was only there in '02 and '03) would have to elaborate as to whether Favre had any specific blow-ups at anyone.

He did seem to change in the years immediately after I left, though. He never seemed to trust the Thompson-McCarthy leadership, even though they were ultimately far better for his career than his boy Mike Sherman was. Favre was pretty loyal to Sherman, even if few others in the locker room I covered were.

Sadly, in my mind, his mistrust of those two permeates the Packers fanbase too.

9. I have nothing to add, Bubbler, other than your avatar is flippin' awesome.

"Hold still ........"

Draft saved Draft deleted