1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On merit, how can anyone other than Chris Paul be MVP this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think Kobe will win it. I think you can make strong cases for four guys, which really is a good thing because there are tons of great players having great seasons right now. I think the final vote will go 1-Kobe, 2-KG, 3-Paul, 4-LeBron.

LeBron is having an unreal year, but he'll also have plenty more like this. He'll get his MVPs. But being the fourth seed in the East is too much to overcome when you compare the resumes of his competitors' teams.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with the dancing hooligan on the left.

3. Paul should win it.

Kobe will win it.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm sorry, but has New Orleans already finished the season as the West's No. 1 seed?

Heck, a loss or two and they might not even have home court in the first round of the playoffs.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

CP3 will be favored to win it next year if he follows up with another strong year.

The trend I've noticed about NBA voting is awards are earned based on accumulated reputation. A very select few (Kobe, LeBron, Nash) have earned it. Dirk earned it by leading Dallas to the finals and then a 67-win season, but then pissed it away with an epic playoff choke.

I definitely think CP3 has entered the realm of the superstar. (What's his contract status, anyway? Cuban would break four banks to get him. He's a four-banker. :) )

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think LeBron and Kobe have to be the favorites going in every year for the near future, though others like Paul and Garnett can have great seasons and enter the discussion.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lifelong Lakers fan here, but I wouldn't be bitter if CP3 gets it. No doubt in my mind it's a two-man race at this point.

My prediction: 1. Kobe 2. CP3. As someone said earlier, this award does resemble a popularity contest, and Kobe trumps CP3 in that catetory. For now.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Chris Paul does win MVP, may his trophy be a bronzed cup. Jock strap optional.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Or maybe just a punch from Hodge to make things even.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that would even things with Julius Hodge, I'd be fine with it.

What really bothers me is I liked Chris Paul until he did that. Everything else points to Paul being a decent guy. But his shot to Hodge was cheap.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Completely agree. No matter what he does in his career, that cheap shot will taint him just a little in my eye. It was so blatant.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

If the "he makes his teammates better" and other subjective criterias are applied to Paul as it was for Nash then no question he should be the MVP.

But that type of talk doesn't seem to follow Paul as much for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted