1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Hillary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 19, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Not at all, I just think you proved the point that nothing, no matter the promise or campaign pledge is for certain. That's not childish, that's fact.

Also, I was seriously interested in Obama's specifics, as are the rest of the people on this board I'm sure, since all we hear is the word "change" 500 times a speech with nothing of substance close behind.

I was hoping you would enlighten us all, unlike Michael_Gee, who either on this post or one of the other political posts simply offered his skin color as a change. I figured there is more to the man than that.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't see that happening, inasmuch as McCain doesn't believe there's anyone alive who has a better grasp of that issue than he does. And he's probably right.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ or http://www.ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm I timed it, those took me 46 seconds to find. They're all there.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Except RSC will say "You sure?" I was asking an honest question -- on which issues does McCain differ from Bush? Huckabee has been the only GOP candidate so far to levy any sort of criticism at the current administration.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm watching Primary Colors on Cinemax West right now. I would think the GOP should just drop a dvd of this flick in everyone's mailbox if Hillary wins the nomination. If they do that, whoever the GOP candidate is will win in a landslide.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What if the candidate is Billy Bob Thornton?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I respect Hillary Clinton very much and enjoyed reading about her accomplishments. I wish the Dems would dump Reid and maker her Senate leader. My problem with her candidacy is that we as a country need to heal the divides and I think she would be so preoccupied with fending off righty attacks and people trying to settle old scores that our country would be better served by someone "new."
    P.S. Is calling Obama a skilled orator similar to calling a black football player a natural athlete. And is Hillary a high-motor girl?

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Five candidates I am least likely to vote for, in order, as of today:

Paul, Kucinich, Huckabee, Hillary/Edwards (tie). I know too much about the last two, but it's second and third hand knowledge that doesn't belong on a public board. I would rightly get trashed if I posted it here. As for the first three, bigoted (or incompetent) nut, nut, egregiously running on religion.

Lugs, the most interesting election, and probably the closest, would be Hillary and McCain, I reckon. Both would be trying to contain their anger when the shots start coming, and I would be curious to see if either could succeed. So far, I don't think so.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And all we hear from Hillary is that she'll "form a committee" to look at this problem or that problem. Meanwhile, as she and other Democrats set about bashing Bush for wasting billions in Iraq, they prepare to spend those same billions on health care if they win the White House.
    In other words, Hillary is more of the same except with breasts.
    One of the fundamental problems with Hillary — and there are many — is she seems to want to turn back the clock instead of moving forward. She wants to return to the "golden years" of the 1990s instead of tackling current issues. Makes it hard to support anything she throws out there, for the simple fact she HASN'T thrown anything out there. And since she rarely does serious interviews — and complains about unfair treatment when pressed — it's hard to figure out what she'd do differently.

As for McCain, don't be so sure the righties are very high on this guy. Most of the talk radio folks don't like him because of McCain-Feingold and the immigration issue. Personally, back in 2000, he struck me as a guy who was power-hungry (much like Hillary). That makes him untrustworthy in my book.
    Speaking as someone who leans right but is fed up with a lot of bullshit on both sides, it's kind of a shame we can't make a Frankenstein candidate. On the GOP side, if you could mix McCain's ideas on foreign policy and the military, Ron Paul's adamant hatred of big government, Huckabee's tax ideas (he's an advocate of the fair tax; it's at least a fresh idea), and Romney's management skills, you'd have a hell of a candidate.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bat, I usually like your take on stuff, so take this as it is offered, which is not in an insulting manner:

The "Fair" Tax is one of the worst ideas anyone has ever had the balls to utter in a presidential campaign.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a lot of problems with it. No. 1, a lingering fear that it would end up supplementing and not replacing our current tax system. My point was, at least he's somebody who's actually looking at things from a different angle and has an idea to change it, instead of just saying "we need change," or "I'll appoint a blue-ribbon panel to look into that."

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hi, Lugs!

How's it going?

OK, I'm no expert on any of this, but for what it's worth (admittedly not much), I've never had a question on Hillary's electability -- I think she's by far the most electable of the candidates. Her name recognition and her connection to Bill help her a lot more than they hurt her, and her tough image tends to offset the fears some voters have regarding electing women. Obama's rock star charisma plays well in the short term (though I believe Hillary leads every national poll among Democratic contenders) but that enthusiasm wears down over the course of a general election campaign.

Just my humble opinion. I don't know anything more about this than the next guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted