1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Hillary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 19, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Boom's right.

2. Rudy chickened out. At the time, we now know, he was running out to LI on the taxpayer's dime to spark with Ms. Judy. He also did not want to be the Republican who woke up on Wednesday after election day having lost to the Hildebeast. So into the fray went younr Rick, who did lose to her, and has not been sen since.
    Daddy Bush had an 80 percent approval rating when the campaign began. Clinton was one of the few guys not to care about that, and ran and won. Perot drew votes from both sides fairly equally, whatever is said on your favorite radio programs notwithstanding, and had very little effect on the electoral college landslide that Clinton piled up.
    Do much better. The smoke is clogging your brain.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ahh - the country has already seen evidence of Mcain's ability to hold up under pressure. Don't you think?

[​IMG]

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My friend predicted Rudy will come up with a "health issue" and regretably have to drop out.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is your friend Ed Koch ? He was saying that a month ago.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You make great points about the Clintons' record in elections. She didn't get into this race without gaming out a path to the presidency.

I haven't been as artful as I should have been in explaining why I think she's the better general election candidate, but that belief is genuine. I've been asked if I work for Clinton -- I don't. (If she wants to hire me I'd consider it.) I supported Barack Obama up through August of 2007. I've been technically undecided but moving close to Clinton since then.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

True enough, though he was just a bit younger back then. I also wonder about what effect that experience will have on him as he continues to get older. Does it accelerate the onset of age-related conditions? Does it delay them? I don't know.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No thanks. I prefer the bottom.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ah, your Clinton worship and revisionist history is always refreshing -- sad -- but refreshing.

Yes, H.W. had an 80 percent approval rating at the start of campaign season -- in Feb. 1991 on the heels of something called Dessert Storm. You know, one of those meaningless wars we supposedly won and had everyone running around waving flags and singing the national anthem.

But then the sizzle of the war wore off and H.W. had to answer for a struggling economy, rising prices, raising taxes after he promised he wouldn't and by June of 1992 he had an approval rating only his son could be proud of -- like 31 percent.

He was on his way out and everyone knew it -- regardless of who the candidate was, as evidenced by the fact that Perot grabbed 20 percent of the vote in that particular election.

It was an election the Democrats had no choice but to win.

Please, do better. Like I said -- your admiration and hero worship of the Clintons is admirable. Sad. But admirable.

Lazio never had a chance for a variety of reasons, none the least he was thrown to the wolves so late in the process and it was a big let down for those who were anticipating a heavyweight battle between Rudy and Hillary.

So, again, do better.

I've never said Hillary can't win and there is no doubt her and Slick Willy will do everything in their power, including break rules, to win -- but please don't come to the bar I am at on election night to drown your sorrows if she loses to McCain because I'll be lighting up a big fat cigar and blowing as much second-hand smoke into the air as I can.......

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's actually pretty funny.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Funny how a 71-year-old white male is not considered a change, considering its normally a middle-aged white guy.

And I'm glad you would toss your vote away to either a woman or a black man simply for the change of skin color or sex. That's pretty moronic. You sound like my sister who has vowed to vote for Hill just because she is a woman. When I try to have a serious conversation and ask well what issues of hers do you support or get excited about? Her only response is . . . you guessed it, she's a woman.

That my friends is a joke. I don't care if he or she is Asian, black, white or purple. I vote on issues and principles not on skin or sex for the "sake" or the "illusion" of change.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

OK, I'll bite. What, policy-wise, will McCain change from Bush's eight years in office?

Draft saved Draft deleted