1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On hats ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My dad always had about four different fedoras.

There was his "going to work" fedora (he was a steelworker so it wasn't a dressy hat)

He had a "running errands, going to the pub" fedora

A couple of different ones depending on the suit he was wearing if he and my mom went out for dinner or whatever.

A straw one for the summer.

And this one when he went curlilng:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Oh MY! [/Enberg]

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It just looks too affected these days.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But why is that? Is it just America's general disdain for style nowadays and the general 'slacker' style that has become accepted in workplaces? I know people look differently at me when I wear a hat, and I know it looks good on me.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There was some thought when The Untouchables released that it would trigger the hat fad.
    It did not.

Too bad. I love hats.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've seen a dude -- in new york and then same dude was in spring training -- who actually wore a hat with the press card in it. serious douche

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I worked at a clothing store for a while in college that always stocked men's hats (and pajamas!), and they were steady sellers with the old folks.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just because of the hat? Or was he a douche anyway?

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

both

covered the big east tournament, after the team i was covering lost on a last-second shot, dude was asking guys what their favorite movie was and what was in their ipod... serious douche

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I was in high school I worked part time in a men's wear store. We sold a ton of hats from Biltmore which was founded in 1917. They were resurrected about 10 years ago by some people who thought that eventually there'd be a market for hats.

http://www.biltmorehats.com/index.htm

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I would not be averse to wearing hats if it wasn't for hat hair. That, to me, is the biggest drawback to hats today. Hairstyles are generally longer today and nobody wants to go around work with that damn ring around their head. If I put a hat on, it's for the rest of the day unless I take a shower. That's how my hair (what there is of it) rolls.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If you're getting hat hair, it's probably not the right size.

I rarely have a problems with mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted